Can i have SBS 2008(Domain Controller), Exchange 2007, and the Company Website on one server?
Basically i have a client that wants to get off their current webhosting/email hosting provider and start doing it all in house. Now here i am browsing through google and trying to get my questions answered. So i thought why not come here where windows server lives. Here is the situation. Customer already has domain registed, but its stuck with the webhost until 2015 AHHHH! so im wondering if i can just start off by having the exchange server up and running using their existing domain? also the company is currently using a workgroup format to network everything...not very reliable. so i have a thought why not get a server with sbs08 on it and run exchange plus use it as a print server and file backup plus run sharepoint (great piece of software). So in your (expert) opinion is it a good idea? they are also looking into having the wesite run a login based Access database to key in invoicing for the firm (its a consulting agency) and therefore many of its consultants are not at the office so connecting them to a domain and having them go offline (possible?)plus i will also have to look into volume licensing for their office products plus if i could get advice as to what network security software should be used for the server and its client computer....im starting to feel the preasure...PLEASE HELP!Computer Technician - GCGS Inc.
July 16th, 2009 7:36am

Hello,a machine like a webserver which is accesible form the internet should NOT be a domain controller or be located in the same LAN as the internal network. Use a deddicated webserver in a DMZ for this.For Exchange you should also have at least a firewall solution like ISA servre between the web and the server.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2009 2:16am

I agree - its not best practice to host an externally facing website on an internal server, especially one that is a domain controller, exchange server, etc. Perhaps you could contact the web hosting company that youre stuck with and see if you can upgrade to a more flexible platform? If you just need additional integration they may be able to offer that. I've done a lot of small biz consulting and while I love SBS, I always recommend keeping the company website on a hosted platform until the company gets bigger (and more, uh, mature). Small business networks "tend" to be a bit more volatile than hosted platforms, and you dont want server maintenance bringing down the public internet image of the company. Also, if its just a customer of yours and they dont have on-site IT its nice to know hacks and other problems are handled by someone with the 24/7 resources necessary. Mike Crowley A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
July 17th, 2009 2:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics