Can get IP but can't ping DHCP server
We havelab with 20new Dell Optiplex 760's running on a Windows 2003 servernetwork. Most of the workstations work fine but several of them can't PING or connect to the DHCP server. Theycanget an IP address from the DHCP and connect to the network, the internet, all the other servers but for some reason can't ping the DHCP server. The server running DHCP also has network drives that the clients can't connect to. I've tried releasing/renewing the IP's and getting the same results. Any ideas?
July 28th, 2009 6:55pm

If you're getting a valid IP address from the DHCP server, but just can't ping, my first guess is that ICMP is being blocked somewhere.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2009 7:12pm

Are you able to ping the gateway IP of the serverfrom the client.Check whether the gateway of the client and dhcp server IP are same.Check the gateway IP that you have provided in the DHCP server while creating scope.provide the message what you get when you try to ping the DHCP server and provide the error message when you try to connect ti the network drive ( For these might be a creditenial problem make sure you try to connect using DHCP server administrator account from the client.
July 28th, 2009 7:12pm

I'm able to ping the gateway and everything else except for the DHCP.I get Request Timed Out when pinging the DHCPWhen I type \\dhcpservername in the explorer there is no error message itsjust nothing showing up in the window.
July 28th, 2009 7:23pm

Does the DHCP server have a firewall installed on it? Can anything else ping it? Is anything being shared on \\dhcpservername?
July 28th, 2009 7:26pm

The rest of the lab and the other workstation on our network can connect to the DCHP server just fine. There are some printers and network drives shared on that server and they work ok too.
July 28th, 2009 7:29pm

Is the DHCP server & the workstations on the same subnet?
July 28th, 2009 7:35pm

Yes.
July 28th, 2009 8:07pm

Can you ping or connect to the DHCP server by using the IP address instead of the server name?
July 28th, 2009 11:55pm

Hello,make sure no firewall is blocking ICMP traffic. Also make sure that all machines only use domain internal DNS servers on the NIC.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 29th, 2009 3:42am

Yes in DHCP server make sure the firewall is configured or trun it OFF and try that should work..
July 29th, 2009 1:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics