Can a 180 trial license of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials be converted to full use license without uninstalling

Hi,

Is it possible to convert a 180 day trial version Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials to a full retail license? Or do I have reinstall it again?

I found this information: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj574204

But it doesn't say anything about Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

October 27th, 2013 4:39pm

Hi, Skubli

If you are talking about converting the trial version of Essentials edition to a retail license of same Essentials edition , it is supported.  You do not need to re-install your server.

thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 28th, 2013 8:41am

Is this also true of the WSE 2012 R2 is a domain controller?  The TechNet article was pretty clear that if the server is a domain controller, then you cannot convert from trial to retail (though if I read the TechNet article literally, then it looks like that is only true for WS Standard and Datacenter).

I'm just trying to get a head start on my new server while I wait for WSE 2012 R2 to get delivered in the mail, but I would hate to migrate my DC to the trial server only to have to reinstall again!

Thanks!

--rob

November 26th, 2013 7:24am

WSE 2012 R2 is a domain Controller but you will have no problem to activate him using a DSP, VLK or FFP Key.
  • Proposed as answer by rlittlemsft Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:36 PM
November 26th, 2013 10:09am

Hi,

Can you explain me how to buy a key. I installed the W2012 R2 Essentials today. I downloaded the evaluation version. I have paypal account. So where to buy the license?

April 2nd, 2015 3:27pm

Hi there,

You buy the Software from a store like Amazon and you are using just the Key to convert Trial to Fully Licensed Version. The link above is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-Essentials/dp/B00GAIBC0I

Hope it helps...

June 27th, 2015 3:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics