Can Win Server 2008 backup be used to backup Windows 7 workstations remotely?
I would like to backup my Windows 7 workstations from a central server. I looked at the Windows Server backup function, and it seems to only backup remote windows servers. I tried to backup one of my Windows 7 workstations, and it said something about and incompatable system. It did not work. Are there any recommendations for a backing up about 10 Windows 7 workstations from a common server? thanks Jeffrey
September 15th, 2010 9:57am

From the workstation, you should really only be interested in USER data. I think a better approach would be to create a shared folder on the server and have the users map a network drive so that the server's shared folder can be there "home folder". If you have Active Directory, you can use a GPO to simply redirect the user's My Documents Folder. As a last resort, you could also create a scheduled task on each of the workstations to "copy" their local files to the server at a predifined time each day (using XCOPY or ROBOCOPY). Once its on the server, you can have your local backup job, backup the shared folder to your backup media. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2010 10:40am

Hi Jeffrey, Thanks for post here. What ‘s the windows 7 edition running on these workstations , and are these workstation domain members? I think perform backup via group policy might a solution. The Group Policy settings for backup are mainly stored in the following path: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Backup User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Backup Configure Windows Backup http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744550(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 16th, 2010 3:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics