Can No Longer Access NAS
I have a Win 2008 R2 machine that was successfully backing up to NAS box but now it has suddenly stopped. I have not touched the servers config and the last update was weeks ago so I'm confused why it should suddenly stop working. EVERY other machine (including Win7 clients) in my network can see the NAS except this one 2008 server (we only have one 2008 server at the moment, all the others are 2003). I can ping the NAS but if try to browse to the NAS from the run command i get the old "network path was not found" error. This happens using both the DNS name and the IP address of the NAS box. The NAS is also no longer showing up in "Network" in explorer. I don't know if this has any bearing but the server has two network cards but both are working fine. My network type is "Domain".Hibs Ya Bass!
December 7th, 2010 4:06pm

Hi, I would like to suggest you perform the following troubleshooting suggestions: 1. Double check the physical connection. 2. Test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking mode. 3. Temporarily disable Windows Firewall and Antivirus program for troubleshooting purpose. 4. Enable "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" on the current connection. 5. Start the Workstation service. 6. Disable SMB Signing by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters and modifying the EnableSecuritySignature value to 0. 7. Disable Restrictanonymous by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and modifying the RestrictAnonymous value to 0. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles: You may experience authentication issues when you access a network-attached storage device after you upgrade to Windows Server 2008, to Windows Vista, to Windows Server 2003, or to Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954387 Server Message Block communication between a client-side SMB component and a server-side SMB component is not completed if the SMB signing settings are mismatched in Group Policy or in the registry http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916846 If the issue persists, I also recommend you contact the NAS vendor to check if there any compatibility issue with Windows Server 2008 R2. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 8th, 2010 2:06am

Hi, I would like to suggest you perform the following troubleshooting suggestions: 1. Double check the physical connection. 2. Test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking mode. 3. Temporarily disable Windows Firewall and Antivirus program for troubleshooting purpose. 4. Enable "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" on the current connection. 5. Start the Workstation service. 6. Disable SMB Signing by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters and modifying the EnableSecuritySignature value to 0. 7. Disable Restrictanonymous by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and modifying the RestrictAnonymous value to 0. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles: You may experience authentication issues when you access a network-attached storage device after you upgrade to Windows Server 2008, to Windows Vista, to Windows Server 2003, or to Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954387 Server Message Block communication between a client-side SMB component and a server-side SMB component is not completed if the SMB signing settings are mismatched in Group Policy or in the registry http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916846 If the issue persists, I also recommend you contact the NAS vendor to check if there any compatibility issue with Windows Server 2008 R2. Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 1. I can ping it. 2. This is a server I can't just bring it down willy nilly. 3. Firewall is disabled. 4. It's enabled. 5. It's already started. 6. I'll try it. 7. I'll try it. I've read both those KBs. I'll see what happens with 6 and 7 but re-iterate - this server was seeing the NAS box fine up until Friday so I'd be surprised if registry changes have any effect.Hibs Ya Bass!
December 8th, 2010 2:50am

Tried everything but nothing worked. Ended up rebooting the server out-of-hours and suddenly everything is all well. Very peculiar.Hibs Ya Bass!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 8th, 2010 2:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics