Can I use a single Physical Nic for multiple VMs?
I am attempting to build a lab using 1 physical server and multiple VMs. My goal is to simulate a domain with approx. 6 servers and 2 clients. Later I will advance to a Hybrid Cloud. I only have one 10 gig Nic. I would like to configure the physical server as both Domain Controller and VM host. What am I not thinking of? If necessary I can dual home the server with an addit
April 25th, 2015 9:32pm

Yep, you can use the same physical NIC for multiple VMs. The NIC and Hyper-V will figure out the subinterfaces etc. as long as you setup a virtual switch.

Here's an article that explains how the virtual switching works http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/the-hyper-v-virtual-switch-explained-part-1/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2015 10:19pm

I would not try to run the host as a DC. Much better to leave the host alone and run the DC and a virtual router (which you will need to run the domain in its own IP subnet) as vms.

If you do add a second NIC to the host, reserve one for the host and one for the virtual switch. If you only have one NIC, they must share it. If you multihome the host it is yet another reason to not run it as a DC!

April 25th, 2015 10:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics