Can I install VB6 IDE in a Windows 2008 R2 Server??
I read the following "support statement" from Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx and there is a part where it says: "Additionally, both the Windows and Visual Basic teams have tested Visual Basic 6.0 IDE on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 to understand and mitigate (if appropriate) serious regressions in application compatibility." but it also says: "The Visual Basic 6.0 IDE has never been offered in a native 64-bit version, nor has the 32-bit IDE been supported on 64-bit Windows. VB6 development on 64-bit Windows is not and will not be supported." So my doubt is: does the word "support" mean that Microsoft is not going to give us assistance (incidents, warranties, hotfixes, etc.) when having VB6 IDE installed on a Windows 2008 R2 Server? or does it mean, literally, that VB6 IDE is not going to be able to be installed on a Windows 2008 R2 Server?? Please help me, that is kind of confusing! Thanks in advance!
March 2nd, 2011 11:17pm

Hi, Windows Server 2008 R2 is only available with x64 version. According to the description, it seems that Windows Server 2008 R2 is not a supported operating system for VB6IDE. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 3rd, 2011 12:11am

Thans Vincent, but my doubt still remains: do you mean with "supported" that technically is impossible to install the VB6 or that Microsoft does not provide any support when installed?? Regards..
March 3rd, 2011 3:40pm

I don't see anything ambiguous about "is not and will not be supported"! If you don't think that that means no, go ahead and waste your time trying. Bill
March 3rd, 2011 5:56pm

Bill, "Support" and "will not install" are two separate issues. I don't see anything ambigous about net_hobbyist's question. I think you clearly missed the point. "Support" from Microsoft (or any vendor for that matter) is usually limited to email/online/phone/technical support calls. If you never call/contact Microsoft it never matters. Since VB6 is on the way out i can see why MS will not provide help/solutions to issues on this product. Net_hobbyist, To Bill's point, try the install on 2008 and see if it works out of the box. Then let us know. Just do it on a test box first. No harm in trying to get it to work. Just don't call MS if it doesn't.
March 3rd, 2011 6:12pm

Hi, VB6 development on 64-bit Windows is not and will not be supported. >> Base on the above description, you will not be able to get any support from Microsoft even if you make it works. By the way, the following blog may helpful for you. PowerShell on WS08 Server Core!!!! http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2008/05/15/powershell-on-ws08-server-core.aspx Best Regards, Vincent Hu
March 4th, 2011 3:16am

Thank you all. I'm going to try to install it and I will let you all know if it works.
March 4th, 2011 5:04pm

I also will soon install VB6 on my 64-bit Windows 7, as my 32-bit computer died and I must support a VB6 application. I don't care if Microsoft doesn't support it. The VB6 app itself has run fine on 64-bit computers for years. Richard MuellerMVP ADSI
March 4th, 2011 9:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics