Can I enable Num Lock on boot up via a VBScript in Win 8.1 with Update 1?

Please post in GP forum fir assistance with GP settings.

August 31st, 2014 8:03am

Also a simple search will answer all of you questions:

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=group+policy+turn+on+numlock

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2014 8:09am

Hope this is the correct place for this - someone directed me to the TechNet Forums from the Windows 8.1 general forum, and then from the 'Windows Forms General' forum to this one (not sure if my thread has been copied/moved to this forum already by one of the moderators; if it has, my apologies, but I am not am regular forum user and I don't understamnd most of the shorthand being used by others, whether something is something someone has written as part of a repsonse or an action they have taken, or just part of their sign off or what).

In the good old days of Windows XP, I was able to ensure Num Lock was on at boot up by the use of a small VB Script file, which was this:

set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}"

It is really annoying with Win 8.1 that on Boot Up, AND every time I want to switch user, Num Lock goes off (even if it was on before switching user).  I want Num Lock to be on at Boot Up AND stay on when switching user.

I have seen the suggested remedies in other forums about changing the appropriate value in the Registry (which does not work until after logon) and changing the BIOS setting (which does not work because Windows overrules the BIOS setting).  The question is whether the VBScript solution will work with Win 8.1?

If it will, in which folder do I put the Script file in order for it to work for all Users?

And do I have to make the any changes to Group Policy to make it work, and if so what chnages, as seems to be the case if the OS was Win 7 (mine is Win 8.1 Update 1, and NOT Win 8 Pro).

Thanks in advance for all technical help on this one.

August 31st, 2014 12:10pm

Please, what is the "GP Forum"?  There are hundreds of forums on this TechNet site and as a total novice to this set of forums (as mentioned in my original post), I have no way of knowing what that Forum is..
September 1st, 2014 4:50am

Group Policy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads

Numlock is considered a user control so it is not normally managed by admins.

September 1st, 2014 4:59am

You could also try using search to get information:

http://superuser.com/questions/496845/how-to-have-num-lock-enabled-by-default-on-log-on-screen

September 1st, 2014 5:04am

Um, no actually, it doesn't!

As I said in my post, I have already tried most of the things suggested by doing that search, such as editing Registry keys and changing the BIOS settings, which do NOT work.  Some answers refer to a VBScript but it is not at all clear:

1 whether it will work in Win 8.1 Uodate 1

2.  in which part of the User files I place the VB Script file;

3.  whether I also have to chnage Group Policy and, if so, how.

Hopefully that explains my problem and questions more clearly (and please don't just tell me to post this question somewhere else yet again)?

Neil

September 1st, 2014 5:06am

The article is pretty clear about what works and what doesn't.  If you are using an MS linked account it won't work.  IF you are in a Domain then follow the instructions which are clear about what to do.

If you continue to have problems you will have to contact support for assistance. 

For assistance with using Group Policy you will have to post in the GP forum. THis forum is for scripting and is not a general support forum.

September 1st, 2014 9:44am

The article is pretty clear about what works and what doesn't.  If you are using an MS linked account it won't work.  IF you are in a Domain then follow the instructions which are clear about what to do.

If you continue to have problems you will have to contact support for assistance. 

For assistance with using Group Policy you will have to post in the GP forum. THis forum is for scripting and is not a general support forum.

September 1st, 2014 9:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics