Can I create a custom SCSM task that runs on the server?

I'm new to SCSM (got roped in as the developer/Powershell guy). I see instructions for adding a custom task to SCSM, which I know generally run from the user's console, under their security context. I also found a reference to "runtime tasks" which run from the server. Is there a way for me to make a custom task that runs from the server?  

If it helps, I'll be creating a task that implements the Poweshell script found here that converts an incident to a service request. I'd much rather the conversion take place on the server so that we don't need to deploy the SMlets Powershell module (and another dependency) on each user's workstation. 

Thanks!

January 15th, 2014 9:02pm

Maybe this is helpful: How to Run PowerShell Commands on Remote Computers
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2014 10:52am

Hi,

You can create a workflow. It always run on the server. Then create a custom task that will trigger that workflow.

January 16th, 2014 3:09pm

Hi Marat - 

Question for you; you mention above that one can create a task that triggers a workflow - 

I've created custom tasks before, but I could not find a way to target/trigger an existing workflow?
Ideally I'd like a console task to trigger and run a custom workflow (which contains SMlets) upon the current Work Item.

October 20th, 2014 5:41am

the typical method for this is to have a console task that sets some value in the work item, and then have the server side process trigger on that value, and then reset it when the work is done. a custom bool flag "RequiresServerProcessing" or something. i'm doubt there is out-of-the-box functionality for the client to talk to the workflow engine, and even if there was, it would seem to me to be a security risk waiting to happen. 
October 20th, 2014 3:18pm

This isn't a workable solution in our case because it would require configuring Powershell to run on all team members' workstations. I was looking for a way to trigger the action within SCSM such that the action runs on the server, with no additional configuration needed on users' workstations. 
February 12th, 2015 6:10pm

I'm new to SCSM (got roped in as the developer/Powershell guy). I see instructions for adding a custom task to SCSM, which I know generally run from the user's console, under their security context. I also found a reference to "runtime tasks" which run from the server. Is there a way for me to make a custom task that runs from the server?  

If it helps, I'll be creating a task that implements the Poweshell script found here that converts an incident to a service request. I'd much rather the conversion take place on the server so that we don't need to deploy the SMlets Powershell module (and another dependency) on each user's workstation. 

Thanks!

Not sure what capabilities you have, but would something like this be useful?

http://scsmlab.com/2013/12/09/how-to-create-a-custom-scsm-console-task-by-using-some-c-and-xml-magic/

February 12th, 2015 10:56pm

Thanks, Brandon. That's a little more effort than I was hoping for, but not beyond my skills. Alas, it's a moot point for me personally -- we're replacing SCSM for a more user-friendly solution. It's roundly derided here in our IT department. We're a true blue Microsoft shop, but Service Manager is a real stinker if you've worked with other major ticketing systems. 

Thanks for the suggestion though.

February 12th, 2015 11:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics