Can't uninstall/install Visual Studio after hdd failure.

Hello! I recently started using Visual studio Enterprise and I've installed it on one of my secondary internal hard drives. However, yesterday the hard drive which had VS installed on it suddenly stopped working and I had to remove the drive from my computer.

Since then I've been trying to install it again, this time on my primary hard drive but without success. 
This is how it looks like when trying to run the installation file from the primary hdd: http://imgur.com/QwkVROc
Changing path is greyed out, making it impossible to change the location. 
There is no drive on D so it has to do with something in the regeditor.

I have removed every single file that was installed during the day that I got VS (2015-08-21) except for two remaining files/installations. Those two are "Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - enu (14.0.50616.0) " and "Entity Framework 6.1.3 Tools for Visual Studio 2015". 

When I try to uninstall these files it says "Invalid Drive: D:\"

Any friendly soul that can help me out? I have no idea on how to fix this without format and reinstall windows, which is the last thing I want to do.

P.S I couldn't find a good category to put this post in, please move it if you know where it should belong. 

September 13th, 2015 2:33pm

Hello,

I can help you uninstall remnants of previous installation of SQL Server but I dont have any knowledge about registry keys and file locations of Visual Studio.

For removing remnants of the previous SQL Server installation, please perform the following procedure:

1. Uninstall all SQL Server 2012 components you can using Control Panel -> Programs and Features

2. Backup the registry.

3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.

5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.

6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer like

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and subfolders.

Please post your question on the following forum too:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=vssetup

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 3:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics