Can't see home server on network
I recently installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on my home server. Install went fine and I can connect to the internet. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop, and the server does not appear on the network. I can ping it by IP address, but not by name. When I ping it by name, it pings a different IP address. I have my IP address assigned by DHCP. What I'm trying to do is enable remote desktop.
January 29th, 2013 3:08am

... When I ping it by name, it pings a different IP address. I have my IP address assigned by DHCP. ... I would say this is a name resolution issue. Are you using a third party DNS service, or is your ISP?I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2013 7:44am

First, you want to enable the "Computer Browser" service on your server START>Administrative Tools>Services - Right click Computer Browser, select properties > select automatic from the "Start up Type" drop down list. Then start the service. and for the name resolution check if you have dns installed and create A record or edit the host file of the client machine. http://www.arabitpro.com
February 1st, 2013 7:59am

Its an issue with DNS. Server is not resolving the Hostname. Use these commands: ipconfig /flushdns wait for sometime after this, then run ipconfig /registerdns
February 1st, 2013 12:08pm

What roles does your server have turned on? Also is there any particular reason why you're server has a dhcp address and not a static one? Good rule of thumb for me as always been to assign static IP's to stationary equipment like a server or printer even if it's roles do not require it. MCP MCSA MCSE MCTS MCITP CompTIA A+ CompTIA Net+ CompTIA Sec+
February 1st, 2013 10:20pm

As the others mentioned, it's most likely a DNS issue. Try this: 1. Try pining the server by its hostname on the server 2. Run "ipconfig /registerdns" on the server 3. Run "ipconfig /flushdns on the Windows 7 machine 4. Try to ping the server again from the Windows 7 machine 5. If it's still not resolving the correct name try: "ping -a <server ip>", e.g "ping 192.168.1.1" I would also go to the DNS server and possibly remove the DNS record pointing to the wrong IP, if it's there. After removing, and then running "ipconfig /registerdns", a new A record should be added to the DNS.Blog: www.danielclasson.com/blog | LinkedIn: Daniel Classon | Twitter: @danielclasson
February 2nd, 2013 4:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics