Can't remove search from start menu on Windows 2008 Terminal Server
Hello, I need to remove the search box from the start menu on Windows 2008 Terminal Server as locked down users can type www.google.com in there, for example, and Internet Explorer pops up. They should only have access to 1 application and a shortcut to that is on the desktop. I have set the GPO settings: User Configuration\Windows Settings\Admin Templates\Start menu and Taskbar\Remove see more results / search everywhere link User Configuration\Windows Settings\Admin Templates\Start menu and Taskbar\Remove search link from Start Menu User Configuration\Windows Settings\Admin Templates\Start menu and Taskbar\Remove Search computer link But the search box remains and can still open IE via the method above. Any advice?
September 21st, 2010 12:29pm

Can you verify with a resultant set of policy that the correct settings are being applied to the user? In addition, have you considered using TS RemoteApp instead of a full session: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753844%28WS.10%29.aspx -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2010 4:05pm

Hi, I've used RSOP and get the results below: Remove Search Computer link Enabled TEST_GPO Remove Search link from Start Menu Enabled TEST_GPO Remove See More Results / Search Everywhere link Enabled TEST_GPO We've tried TS RemoteApp but have found that it doesn't always close users sessions correctly, not nearly as good as Citrix. So I don't understand why the settings above are enabled but the search box is still visible in the start menu, is there another setting to remove it or is there another policy which is enabling it somewhere else?
September 22nd, 2010 5:15am

Hi, Please understand that these group policies are not for remove Search from Start menu. Please see the explanation: "Remove Search Link for Start Menu" - Remove Search Link for the Start Menu and disables some Windows Explorer search elements. Note that this does not remove the search box from the new style Start menu. To avoid Search start programs, you can also enable the "Do not search for files" and "Do not search programs and Control Panel items". For the example you provided, I did not find a solution yet. If you accept, you can restrict users from start Internet Explorer by group policy as a workaround.Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2010 3:39am

I had the same sittuation here and to solve it I enable the option Force to use classic start menu. On classic start menu you don have the search, so it solve the issue to me.
October 20th, 2010 8:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics