Can't push install windows services to/from server 2008
Hello, I've written a windows service in VB.NET. I have an app that accompanies the service and comes with the ability to push install the service to remote machines and servers, when given the proper admin credentials. I have tested and confirmed that the application will push to and from all of the machines on our network running any Windows OS, except Server 2008. I've searched around and found mention of Remote Installation Service and Automated Installation Kit. I'm not sure if either of those are relevant to this problem, or if the problem is isolated to only Server 2008. Can anyone shed some light on any sort of workaround or fix for this? Thanks. Mods - Please do not mark my posts as answered. It is extremely rude. You have no idea if you've answered my question. I WILL come back and mark the ones that are answers, as answers.
September 4th, 2009 6:56pm

Hello, First I suggest performing a Clean Boot to reduce software conflictions: Clean boot ================= Lets disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps: 1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter. Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK. Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue. If the issue persists, I am afraid that your application is not fully compatible with Windows Server 2008. As this applications is manufactured by yourself, this issue could be related to the development field. I suggest discussing this issue in our MSDN forum. They are the best resource to deal with development issues. MSDN forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/categories/ Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2009 5:58am

Thank you for the reply. I've tried your suggestion and it did not fix the problem. I'm not sure how the issue could be related to the development field. I've developed both the service and accompanying application using Visual Basic .NET 2008. The service installs fine on the server (I installed it manually to test that it worked), as does the application. The only functionality that is missing is the push install in the accompanying application, which I wrote myself; The user selects the MSI package (the service) and the and the application does the work to push install it. In the original post I forgot to mention the error: My application is not able to copy the MSI to the remote machine. Just note this is NOT a permissions issue. I've had the domain administrator use his credentials and still have the same issue. Also note that everything I've described works perfectly on any other version of Windows Server and other Windows OS.Mods - Please do not mark my posts as answered. It is extremely rude. You have no idea if you've answered my question. I WILL come back and mark the ones that are answers, as answers.
September 8th, 2009 3:41pm

My apologies, the error I was receiving is actually that it can't find the specified file when I copy it over to the server (because it isn't copying it) in the first place. So the copy is just a simple (programmatic) file copy while impersonating the domain admin. Again, this works on any other OSMods - Please do not mark my posts as answered. It is extremely rude. You have no idea if you've answered my question. I WILL come back and mark the ones that are answers, as answers.
September 8th, 2009 8:52pm

hi Bleg,Mods - Please do not mark my posts as answered. It is extremely rude. You have no idea if you've answered my question. I WILL come back and mark the ones that are answers, as answersplease understand that moderators are chosenfor theirability to resolve / assit / analyze the toughest queries in these forums, we will mark the question as answer only after thorough analysis of the problem.If you think the suggestion did not help , you can post back and we will remove the Answer tag andcontinue troubleshooting thanks for understanding.sainath !analyze
September 9th, 2009 4:46am

Please tell me how my previous post solved my question. In no way did I answer anything at all, I was simply correcting myself on the original post, letting whoever may answer that the error I had stated was incorrect. The reason I have this in my signature is because I have yet, out of all the questions I've asked on these forums, had a moderator reply with a useful answer... One that ACTUALLY solved my question. I understand that occasionally people may abandon questions, but to me it seems extremely pompous to mark your own reply as an answer immediately after you post it. If I'm offending you with this, I apologize, but think of this from a courtesy standpoint: You go to a restaurant and tell them you want a hamburger and they bring you a salad because they're telling you that that's what you want instead. This is exactly the same principle. Back on track, this issue is still not resolved. Mods - Please do not mark my posts as answered. It is extremely rude. You have no idea if you've answered my question. I WILL come back and mark the ones that are answers, as answers.
September 9th, 2009 4:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics