Can't play DVD using Windows Media Player on Windows Server 2008 R2
Running WIndows Server 2008 R2. Desktop Experience is Loaded. I think it includes Windows Media Player V12. Trying to play DVD. Get the 'adjust resolution' message. Adjusting Resolution does not help. Installed Full K-Lite Codec Pack. Get same message about adjusting resolution. Uninstall K-Lite Codec Pack now I'm getting 'WMP cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD Decoder is not installed on your computer. I am a novice and dangerous so any 'step-by-steps' would be Greatly appreciated.
November 23rd, 2011 12:04pm

"I am a novice and dangerous so any 'step-by-steps' would be Greatly appreciated." THEN Stay away from server :) hes not to play video or music, any particular need to play dvd on the server? Renato Kurti CCNA,MCP,MCTS,MCITP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 23rd, 2011 12:56pm

Running WIndows Server 2008 R2. Desktop Experience is Loaded. I think it includes Windows Media Player V12. Trying to play DVD. Get the 'adjust resolution' message. Adjusting Resolution does not help. Installed Full K-Lite Codec Pack. Get same message about adjusting resolution. Uninstall K-Lite Codec Pack now I'm getting 'WMP cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD Decoder is not installed on your computer. I am a novice and dangerous so any 'step-by-steps' would be Greatly appreciated. Install Cole2k Media - Codec Pack V7.9.5 Advanced on your WIndows Server 2008 R2 box, reboot the server and then you should be able to play DVD using Windows Media Player. Here is a download link for that Codec Pack and its a freeware. http://www.cole2k.net/codec-pack-advanced.html You can also try some other alternatives like VLC Media player, Power DVD etc. Hope that helps. ~Santosh
November 23rd, 2011 5:46pm

Hi Santosh: Thank you so much for replying. I followed you instructions ... but still did not succeed. I got the following error message: "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings." I lowered resolution to 800 x 600 .... still did not help. Please HELP!!! -Mark
November 30th, 2011 8:40pm

Hi Renato: Thank you for responding ... My company issued me a laptop with Windows Server 2008 R2. They will not change the OS. I tried Santosh's idea but it didn't work. Are you up to the challenge? Looking forward to your reply =Mark
November 30th, 2011 8:46pm

Hey Mark, See if following threads help you... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-pictures/windows-media-player-cannot-play-dvd-video-you/3d6f9df6-80c9-4415-b947-83a10ce28a72 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080717073819AArqOHX~Santosh
December 1st, 2011 4:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics