Can't ping local computers
I have a network that consist of 3 computers ( 2 as clients running WinXP and 1 as a server running Win2k3 ) that are hardwired into a 4 port linksys router. I configered a static IP address for the server and enabled DHCP on the router so the other 2 computers can get their IPaddress dynamically. I can ping from the computers running XP to the server with success, but I can't ping from the server to the computers. Both of the XP computers can access the internet, but the server can't. However when I type the IP address for the router (192.168.1.1) in the server's address bar, I get access to the router. The driver for the network card is installed correctly. I'm stumped so if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it
June 30th, 2010 12:56am

Hi, since you put a static entry for the server make sure the gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the mask is correct. Then verify that this static entry is outside the DHCP scope on the router. Also on the XP clients look at the Windows firewall and make sure its not blocking echo requests.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2010 1:09am

My recommendation is to take a quick look at the TCP/IP settings for the two computers and server. Other than their IPs, all other settings should be identical such as their subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS settings. Based on your posting, it appears that all of your hosts should be on the 192.168.1.x subnet most likely with a /24 (255.255.255.0) subnet mask. The computers' and server's default gateway is going to be the private side router interface (192.168.1.1). Check on that and post an update for more assistance. Here is some help on PING in case you are interested. Using PING to Test for Network Connectivity http://www.anitkb.com/2010/06/using-ping-to-test-for-network.html Ping and ICMP Error Messages http://www.anitkb.com/2010/06/ping-and-icmp-error-messages.html Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 30th, 2010 5:03am

Thanx. When I looked at the XP firewall's they were blocking echo request. So I can now ping from client to server and from server to client. However, My server cannot access the internet. I looked at the router settings and my static address is outside of the scope.
June 30th, 2010 5:44pm

Can ayone tell me why the server cannot access the internet?
June 30th, 2010 7:00pm

Sorry, been out for a while. Have you checked the server's TCP/IP settings? Is the IP assigned on the correct subnet? Subnet mask is OK? Default Gateway Correct? DNS Settings correct? If all of that information is correct, are you having trouble accessing only certain nodes on the internet or ALL of them? Have you checked your Firewalls logs to see if any traffic coming from that server is being blocked? It may help if you post the TCP/IP settings of the server. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
July 9th, 2010 5:17am

In addition you should check your DNS forward,then go to cmd on server and type tracert microsoft.com you can trace the ip where it is hitting.
July 9th, 2010 5:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics