Can't login with a loginname greater than 7 characters.
Can't login with a loginname greater than 7 characters. When I change the loginname from the same user to less than 8 charachters the user logs in with no problems. More then 7 characters Windows 7 says ' illigal name or paswoord'. for example: user x uses 'dummy123' gives login fail. After changing login on the server to 'dummy12' for the same user, login succeed. The domaincontroler is a Windows 2003 server. All updates done on both computers. Pls help
September 17th, 2010 5:13am

Have you checked your account policies? May have a restriction that prevents user names could be more than 7 caracters. Try to run. Start -> run ->gpmc.msc and locate that policy. Regards
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2010 5:36am

I use GPO indeed. but as far I know no restrictions on usernames. Where can I find this? I thought there where only restrictions on the length of passwords.
September 17th, 2010 5:58am

Hi, I would like to confirm the following questions: 1. How did you create the problematic user accounts, via tools or DSA.msc? 2. Did this issue happen on only one Windows 7 client or all clients? 3. What configuration did you change before this issue first occurred? 4. I tried “dummy123” and it worked on my test machines, so what were the accurate problematic user account names? 5. What was the error message exactly? 6. Did you customize the GINA? Based on the current situation, please check and remove any special characters when creating the user names. I also would like to suggest you create a user named “Dancas123” via DSA.msc as a test. Does it work? If this issue occurred on only one Windows 7 client, I would like to suggest you boot the Windows 7 client into Clean Boot to check if there are any third party software conflicts. For more information, please read the following Microsoft KB articles: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 20th, 2010 1:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics