Can't log on to W2K Server from Windows 7 Pro
We have a Windows 2000 Server sharing files. From my new 7 Pro computer I get an error loging on which says "Logon Failure: unknown username or bad password". The password and username are correct (same ones been on the W2K server for years and using for years). I tried several other usernames and passwords with the same results. They still work from my XP boxes. Could it be that the machine name is messing up W2K - ie Win 7 may be using: "COMP1\User1" as the usernames instead of just "User1". I need a workaround or fix. Any Ideas?Thanks
November 30th, 2009 2:59am

Be explicit, try logging on as domain\user1 with the password, do not just type user1 as the user nameBrian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2009 6:02am

We do not have a domain, just a workgroup called workgroup.Thanks
November 30th, 2009 7:48pm

You need to create User1 with the same password on the Windows 7 system.-= F1 is the Key =-
December 1st, 2009 3:29am

Hi, Try to run "gpedit.msc" on Win7 and change the following policy: [Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security: LAN Manager authentication level] Change it to "send LM & NTLM responses". Configure "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" to Enabled. Try to test. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 2nd, 2009 5:10am

Mervyn, You Rock. That worked perfectly.Thanks
December 8th, 2009 2:01am

could you please explain the reason, why is it necessary to change the "Everyone permissions", especiallyon the W 7 client workstaition?thank you.ondrej.
December 11th, 2009 8:11pm

FYI: Anonymous user cannot access a shared folder http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755781(WS.10).aspx Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 14th, 2009 11:55am

yes, that I understand, but I would rather accepted it being configured on the SERVER side, not the client's which is actually trying to connect. At his part, he is normally authenticated. According to my understanding, this change made on the client workstation could be necessary if the 2k machine was trying to access the files shared on the 7 workstation, coulnt' be?ondrej.
December 14th, 2009 1:35pm

Mervyn, I sure wish I had run across this a week ago!!! Great work around. I was unable to log into my linux mail server until I tried this. Thank you!
January 14th, 2010 9:22pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'd tried to get an answer to this over at Social Answers Microsoft months ago. Ran into the issue again today. This worked like a charm.
February 24th, 2010 12:04am

Hi,Try to run "gpedit.msc" on Win7 and change the following policy: [Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security: LAN Manager authentication level]Change it to "send LM & NTLM responses".Configure "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" to Enabled. Try to test. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Ah, yes, but what if you own the "Home" version of W7 and have no "gpedit.msc?" There has to be a solution. Help?
March 11th, 2010 10:39pm

Hi.... It's work thanks to Mervyn :)
June 8th, 2010 11:39am

Hi, Try to run "gpedit.msc" on Win7 and change the following policy: [Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security: LAN Manager authentication level] Change it to "send LM & NTLM responses". Configure "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" to Enabled. Try to test. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Ah, yes, but what if you own the "Home" version of W7 and have no "gpedit.msc?" There has to be a solution. Help? I also have the Home version of W7 and don't have gpedit.msc... any help on how to do this?
June 12th, 2010 4:53am

Thank you - worked great - are there any security issues that making this change may create?
March 10th, 2011 4:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics