Can't get my 2nd NIC to work and ping on Windows Server 2003 Std with public IP addresses
I have the following installation:Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition - PDCDNS InstalledFirewall Software InstalledSTATIC public IP on each NIC, both on the same subnet, and the same gatewayNICs are connected to the Cable Router (which is the default gateway IP on each NIC)Each NIC currently points to the first NIC's IP address, since it won't find the 2nd NICs IP Address via a ping commandI've been wrestling with this problem for too long now and am frustrated. I have Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (NOT SBS 2003!)....I only have the budget for 1 server at the moment. My IP has designated a range pf public IPs for my server and my workstations, all assigned in the TCP/IP settings.My goal is to start with 1 server; it's connected to the cable router on both NICs. However, network performance seems degraded and I think it's because I can't get to the 2nd NICs IP address, from either internally or externally. I'm new to this, and want to also host my company's web site on this server, as well as several other sites that I own. I've been searching and searching the internet for days for a solution, but they all seem to point to one NIC used on the internal network (all with private IPs, DHCP, etc...and I don't have DHCP installed since I have static IPs from my ISP) and 1 NIC used externally (with 1 public IP), or using a two server config. Since I need to have two IPs for my domain parker to point to my server, I set it up this way, one IP for each NIC card.I can always ping the first NIC but can never ping the 2nd NIC. Both are on the same subnet....Can anyone help me with this solution to get this 2nd NIC recognized? I want the 2nd NIC in place in case either one fails. Can't afford 2 servers and OS's at the moment. There is probably a simple solution but I can't seem to find it. If someone could provide me some infromation on this I would really appreciate it -- and please, not another article that shows examples for every configuration but mine!Your assistance is appreciated!Thank You!
March 14th, 2010 11:18am

Hello,your configuration will not work that way, a domain controller should NEVER be multihomed, 2 ip addresses, this will result in lot's of domain problems and also DNS related ones.Especially the DC must be identified unique via DNS, which will only work correct with one ip address.So in your case remove the second ip address, connect the server to a switch and the switch to the router/modem to get internet access. Then configure the domain DNS server with FORWARDERS under the DNS server properties of the DNS management console. All domain machines have to tuse the domain DNS only on the NIC and not the ISPs DNS server.So let it look like:internet > router/modem WAN port > router/modem LAN port > switch > all domain machines including the domain controller Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 14th, 2010 8:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics