Can't figure out what servers get listed in Network browse list
I have a mixed environment including 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2 servers. We also have WINS setup and configured on domain controllers. I can't figure out why some servers do not show up in the network list ("Network Neighborhood" in XP and just "Network" in Win 7). I have two 2008 R2 servers, for example, on the same subnet with the same TCP/IP DNS and WINS settings. One server is in the list, and the other isn't. Ironically, the server that DOES appear in the list has network discovery completed turned off for all profiles. The machine that doesn't work, we have tried both ways (network discovery on, network discovery off), and in either case, it does not appear in the list. I'm at a loss to explain how to make a server appear in the Network list. I've looked around the forums and found responses that tell you to turn on network discovery, but in my case, this seems irrelevant.
January 10th, 2011 2:52pm

Hello, on the OS versions higher then Windows XP or Windows server 2003 make sure the Computer browser service is enabled, default is disabled on the newer OS version.s Additional make sure that NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled on the NIC.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2011 4:01pm

Thanks, but, my understanding is that at least on 2008 R2 and Windows 7, the Computer Browser service is disabled and no longer needed. Case in point, my working Server 2008 R2 machine that shows up in the list has its Computer Browser disabled, and on the second 2008 R2 machine, enabling this service made no difference.
January 10th, 2011 4:46pm

Do not confuse the computer browser service and network discovery. They work differently and they work independently. The computer browser service is an NT legacy app, and that is what provides the info for the browse list in Network Neighborhood. Stopping the computer browser service does not prevent a machine from appearing in a browse list. That is controlled by whether Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled or not. Disabling the browser service prevents the machine from becoming a browse master. IPv6 does not support Netbios, so the computer browser service is being phased out. Network Discovery is essentially the replacement for it. If you rely on the computer browser service, make sure that all machines you want to appear in the browse list have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled. If you have a segmented network, make sure that you run WINS and that all machines register with WINS. The browser service fails on a segmented network without WINS (because routers block LAN broadcasts). Browse masters need WINS to communicate across routers. Browsing is complicated. The standard guide is KB188001 and the standard troubleshooter is KB188305. Bill
January 10th, 2011 9:04pm

Hi Mark, Thanks for posting here. I agree with Meinolf and Bill that you should verify if option “NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled” had been enabled on their NICs. Meanwhile, seems you have deployed active directory service in your environment, what I suggest you may use AD to publishing resources instead. For more information please refer to the links below: Publishing a Shared Folder in Windows 2000 Active Directory http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234582 Publishing a Printer in Windows Active Directory http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234619 Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 10th, 2011 10:24pm

Thanks, you've provided clarifying information. However, I confirmed NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled. I also confirmed the server that doesn't show up in the list is indeed registered with WINS. I've seen the KB articles referenced; the problem with the troubleshooter article is that it relies on browstat which is not available or supported in 2008 R2. I will dig around to see if I can find a 2003 system that also has this problem, where I can use browstat for clues. So, if I follow, simply enabling NetBios over TCP/IP is the core requirement. That has always been the case on our servers. Still, I'm not sure how to resolve the problem. M
January 11th, 2011 10:33am

Hi M, Thanks for update. I’d also suggest checking the network setting on that problematic computers and please make sure the network device or firewall software don't block traffic on TCP/UDP port 137, 138 and 139. At the same time, I'm providing the following articles for your reference: How Computer Browser Service Works http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737661.aspx Service overview and network port requirements for the Windows Server system http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017 Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 12th, 2011 12:30am

I made some progress with this, in a different way. I found a 2003 server that was missing from the network list, so I could use the KB188305 article with the browstat command. Using browstat status to get the transport name, I then ran this command against our WINS servers (4 of them): browstat view \device\transportname \\servername. On 2 of the servers, I got an error "Unable to remote API." It turns out, the two WINS servers in question are recently upgraded to 2008 R2. The computer browser was in default disabled state. By enabling computer browser, these WINS servers responded with their browse lists. Within an hour or two, I found that the Network list doubled from about 500 to over 1000. I can't really articulate WHY this is the case. If the clients register in WINS and that was always functioning, what real difference did the computer browser service make? And, if this was required, why wouldn't installing WINS have enabled it? More questions in this interesting troubleshooting process. As per the suggestions for checking firewalls, Windows firewall is shut off on the systems in question. There are no other hardware firewalls that would be implicated. Mark
January 12th, 2011 10:49am

Hi Mark, Glad you get progress. Yes , WINS service is rely on Computer Browser service , however this service is disabled by default since Windows server 2008 . If you are interesting in this component, we’d really suggest take time to read the articles below which will give clear view of this services and answer your questions: Appendix C – Computer Browser Service http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726989.aspx Computer Browser Service Technical Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778351(WS.10).aspx Seems you have deployed active directory service and all the servers are in it , like what I mentioned that DNS is the recommended way to implement name resolution. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 13th, 2011 1:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics