Can't download files on Android from Server 2012 Essentials Remote Web Access

I have two servers, one with Windows Server 2012 Essentials, and the other SBS 2011.  Employees like using Remote Web Access to log in from anywhere and have access to shared folders.  It works perfect on a Desktop computer, but when they try to use their Android tablets or phones, and want to download a file (e.g. a PDF) from one of the shared folders on the server, the download fails.   When Microsoft was pushing 2012 they said RWA worked great on mobile devices, do I have to set up something separately to make this happen?

• Edited by Matt Malkow Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:46 PM
December 12th, 2013 2:46pm

Generally speaking, RWA supports file downloading directly.

Which error you got? Could you share a little more info about it?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 13th, 2013 5:43am

Hi,

Would you please let me know the current state of your issue? As MildWolf mention, would you please let us know error messages that you can find, when cant download files to Android devices successfully?

Based on your current description, I understand you can access the share folder on server, when you use Android tablets and phones. Please check if you can access the file that you want to download. And ensure the network connectivity is OK. Then check if this issue still occurred.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
December 16th, 2013 7:28am

Sorry for the delayed response,

The problem still exists. 

I've completely disabled the firewall, and have ports 80,443,987, and 1723(just to be safe) all forwarded to the server.

I can log into the RWA site on the android, browse files and folders, but when I select a PDF to download, the download shows as if it's starting, shows in my android notification as if its going to start downloading (Shows MobileDownload www.mydomain.com) but eventually after a few minutes, will time out and show "Download Unsuccessful".

Network connectivity is fine as I can do this on a Windows Desktop PC using any browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE) and successfully download anything I want.

January 12th, 2014 4:41pm

It is possible that your tablet locked screen and the network is down(some tablets have this feature to save power)?

could you try to download a small file? For example, text file.

• Edited by MildWolf Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:42 AM
January 13th, 2014 4:43am

I am having the same issue as well.

Can download fine using PC browsers but the android tablet times out trying to start the download.

Nothing wrong with the connectivity as the tablet is on wifi and the screen is kept unlocked.

August 21st, 2015 2:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics