Can't convert system volume from Basic to Dynamic!
Hello everyone,I'm trying to convert my system volume from basic to dynamic to be able to domirroring. When converting my"backup"volume to dynamic,it completes with no problems at all. But when I'm trying to convert my C-drive, nothing happens. Not even afterseveral reboots.My procedure:MMC -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management -> Choose Disk 0 -> Convert to Dynamic Disk -> Checking 'Disk 0' as disk to convert -> Click OK...... And nothing happens at all...!No info in my event log andno errors on the disk- any ideas?Windows 2003 R2 SP2 - 64-bit enterprise4 GB ram2 harddisks: Seagate ST3750640ASThomas
July 21st, 2008 1:55pm

Hello Thojo,Before you change a basic disk to a dynamic disk, note the following: You must have at least 1 megabyte (MB) of unallocated disk space available on any master boot record (MBR) basic disk that you want to change to adynamic disk. When you change a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you change the existing partitions on the basic disk to simple volumes on the dynamic disk. After you change a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. You must first delete all dynamic volumes on the disk, and then change the dynamic disk back to a basic disk. Windows Server 2003 operating systems, Windows XP Professional, and Windows 2000 support dynamic disks. After you change a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you can only access the disk locally from these operating systems.Please do refer the following link below and if at all you face any difficulties please let us know http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816307http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323442/ Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2008 3:13pm

Hello Syed,Thank you for your answer.I think the problemis the need for unallocated disk space on my MBR. See screenshot from my diskmanager:http://89.236.13.153/diskmanager.pngAre you aware of any smart way of handling that? - maybe resizing the partition somehow? Unfortunately the motherboard is not supporting hardware RAID.I think I'm aware of most other "drawbacks" by converting to dynamic disks.Thomas
July 22nd, 2008 3:38pm

I got the partition resized last night and the disk 0 is converted to a dynamic volume now. But when I'mtrying to add the mirror it's grayed out for some reason!See this screenshot:http://89.236.13.153/gray-mirror.pngAny idea about this?Thomas
July 23rd, 2008 11:00am

Hello Thomas, Based on the research of the screenshot, because the size of volume C: on Disk0 is larger than the whole unallocated space of the Disk1, we cannot add a mirror in this case. Since the two volumes of the mirror should be same in size, if you want to mirror the C: partition, you need to resize the C: partition to a new small size which is below 698,51GB. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
July 23rd, 2008 2:32pm

Using Windows SBS - how do I resize a partition? First partition much too small.Thanks
August 6th, 2008 1:56am

I'm having an issue converting the Dynamic disk back to basic (I WANT to wipe out the data). I think it is because the whole disk has no unallocated space. Is there a way I can add some unallocated space to this volume so I convert it back to basic? That option is greyed out for me. I've tried deleting the volume, but it just ends up erroring out and says the drive is in use...I think it's because of the MBR on it.I'm thinking I may have to add a harddrive to the server and then use some kind of disk partitioning software to add space the volume. I would hate to have to buy a harddrive to do this, but I really don't know what to do. I have no unallocated space on my other partitions either.ETA: I should add this this whole volume is an HP external storageworks attached via scsi cable. I had removed it from one server to another and accidentally converted it to Dynamic disks, and didn't realize until now that this is now a problem. It had asked me if I wanted to convert to dynamic, which I'm not sure why I said yes...I think I just clicked to fast or something. If I remove the storageworks from my server, the server doesn't boot so I have to keep it installed for now until I can convert it back to basic. There has got to be a way to change this, right?Thanks, Sara
October 16th, 2008 7:05pm

I would use dskprobe (an old resource kit tool). You can open the physical drive with write access and zero out both the partition table and boot sector.I haveeven had success converting a dynamic disk back to basic using dskprobe. You need to edit both the partition table and the boot sectors (both copies).You could also try some of the commands in the command line tool diskpart.
October 17th, 2008 4:40am

this question can be solved if you know some information about dynamic disk and basic disk.
July 13th, 2010 10:33am

I suggest that user uses the windows version of Partition Wizard to Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk without data loss. visit here to know the details:http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk.html
September 20th, 2010 3:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics