Can't connect to sql instance from laptop SSMS but can connect from different servers via RDP

I am pretty sure there is a firewall etc. issue going on , here is what I am seeing:

While i am RDP'ed to different database servers, I can use their SSMS & I can connect to the sql instance in question. So, connecting to the instance from RDP is not a problem. The issue which I am seeing is that I cannot connect to the instance via SSMS on my local machine. Anyone else in the company can also not access that instance from their local laptop SSMS.

--

SSMS Error Message:

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

--

The firewall is open on the database server for the TCP port of sql. I have tried various sqlinstance name combinations (like using ip address, port # etc) - nogo.

Please let me know, i think it is something for our windows OS sys admins to look into, but before I approach them let me know if I am missing something. T

April 29th, 2015 7:30pm

the default things to check when you cannot connect to a remote sql server from your laptop is

1.make sure the sql browser service is running on the server (or specify the port number on which the sql is running in the connection string(myserver/myinstance,portno)

2. make sure he remote server accepts remote connections... this is a sql server setting--right click on the sql server in object explorer and properties --connections...

3.make sure the firewall is not blocking the portno.

4.make sure the sql server service is running and you typed the right name.

5. can you check the existing connections on the sql server. typically, the error message would be different if it is an issue with the above points - like - network or instance related error.. but in your case it says time out...

i would check the existing connections on the sql server also..may be you are running out the max threads but you are able to connect to sql locally fine... i would try the first four and proceed from ther

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 29th, 2015 8:03pm

Thanks Stan, i will check with the OS team for the firewall.
April 29th, 2015 9:09pm

Is it default or named instance?

What is the port SQL Server is listening to 

SELECT CONNECTIONPROPERTY('local_tcp_port') AS local_tcp_port

Try specify computer\instancename,portnumber

Also try adding a firewall rule to the Windows Firewall to allow connections to that port 

April 30th, 2015 1:38am

Thanks Uri, I have already tried these steps.

April 30th, 2015 12:43pm

Hi SQLRocker,

The "Timeout expired" error commonly occurs when the server name was typed incorrectly, or when there are network problems or firewalls. I would recommend you check the typical causes of this error and resolution in the following article.

Troubleshooting: Timeout Expired
 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190181%28v=sql.105%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

May 1st, 2015 1:32am

Thanks for the link Lydia. I have done all the normal troubleshooting & now have pinged the SA's to look into this server, All other sql servers are working fine but for this one.
May 1st, 2015 2:13pm

1) mssql server version ?

2) try stop mssql agent and then try

3) try to check using sqlcmd or powershell 

check and confirm.

May 1st, 2015 4:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics