Can't connect to internet from primary domain controller machine
Disclaimer: I am a software developer, not a network AdminI am trying to set up a server with AD in a dev environment. I installed Windows Server 2008 (no AD) and everything was fine. Once I used dcpromo to promote the server to the primary domain controller I lost the ability to connect to the internet from that machine. The domain is corporate.local and its IP address is 192.168.0.20. I can remote desktop into that server with Administrator@corporate.local so it is available within my 'network' (i.e. all of my machines are sitting behind my router). I'm 99% sure this has to do with forwarding DNS but that's where my knowledge ends. Any idea on what I need to do in order for this machine to be able to access the internet now that is the primary domain controller? Thanks!
December 2nd, 2008 8:00pm

The DC will use its local DNS service. This DNS will only have records for AD resources. To resolve foreign URLs, configure the local DNS to forward to another DNS server (such as your corporate DNS).Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 3rd, 2008 2:05am

Hi, You can refer to the following article to configure forwarder for the DNS server: Configure a DNS Server to Use Forwarders http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816830.aspx Hope it helps.
December 4th, 2008 11:32am

Hello Ericae, May be you were using a proxy server, As you server got promoted your standalone server to DC the profile has changed and you might have lost your settings.Thanks Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 4th, 2008 12:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics