Can't change permissions for local Administrator account on local disk C:
I have a TS 2008, everything I did was through local administrator account. I logged into it today to add a printer driver for a customer and couldn't save it to my user's folder or anywhere on C: I get error: The following has been disallowed. Please contact the server administrator. Or something along those lines. I right clicked on C: drive and didn't see Security Tab. So I went to GPEdit and made sure the "Remove Security Tab" is "not configured". After looking in registry under HKLM and HKCU for any policy registry keys, I decided to set "Remove Security Tab" to "disabled". I had my security tab again. I went and changed the same GPO to "not configured" and security tab was still present. It this point, I still can't access C: drive. The permissions on local disk C: are as follows: Creator Owner - Special System - Full Control Administrators Group - Read and Execute (missing the full control, I'm looking for or at least Modify permission which I cannot change) Users - Special, Read and Execute, Create Folders/Append Data When I try to Edit Administrators Group or individual users through Edit or Advanced->Edit, I get at first "An error occurred while applying security information to: c:\ Acces is denied. When I press Continue, I get "Unable to save permission changes on Local Disk (C:). Access is denied. Since setting the GP for "Remove Security Tab" to "disabled" then back to "not configured" worked for Security tab, I went through every GPO under User Configuration->Administrative Template->Windows Components->Windows Explorer and did the same thing for all of them(set to disabled, then back to not configured). Now I can browse the C: drive and all my folders and create/move/delete files but I still cannot change the permissions for Administrators group in Security tab. I need some help with this, the local Group Policy has not been configured at all for local accounts which is why this is strange. Thanks in advance, Viktor. P.S. I tried running SunInACL tool to add Administrator/System full permissions to all registry values. Still no go.
March 14th, 2012 9:57pm

Hi, Thank you for the post. Please take drive C ownership first, then you could set the permission on your disk. Take Ownership of a File or Folder Note: Do Not select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box when you take the ownership. If the issue recurs after server reboot, please move the server to the new OU without linked GPO. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 15th, 2012 4:36am

Hi, Thank you for the post. Please take drive C ownership first, then you could set the permission on your disk. Take Ownership of a File or Folder Note: Do Not select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box when you take the ownership. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Regards Rick Tan TechNet Community Support
March 15th, 2012 11:31am

Okay, I did that and now I can access permissions and change them. I restarted that server last night and more issues arose. I cloned another VM server to replace this one because several services failed to start with error "Not enough system resources". Not sure if this is all related, could be. I'm going to keep the old server to see if I can figure out anything, most of the articles I read about these errors refer me to a possible virus infection. What do you think?
March 15th, 2012 6:37pm

To be more exact: Com+ Event System Network List Service Terminal Services Background Intelligent Transfer TPM Base Services I get a pop-up when trying to start them that "Some services start and stop depending on when they need to be started". The event viewer gives me following errors: EventID: 4612 The COM+ Event System ran out of memory during its internal processing, at line 45 of D\longhorn\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsytemobj.cpp EventID: 12 Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with LCSID {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00-00c04fbbb345} and name CEventSytem cannot be started. Most Likely the server is in the process of shutting down or the system is out of memory. [0x8007000e] EventID: 4609 The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80010105 from line 202 of d:\longhorn\com\complus\src\events\tier2\service.cpp
March 15th, 2012 6:54pm

Since I cannot start Server Management Console, it crashes instantly, I cannot look at Performance and Reliability center but Task Manager doesn't show anything using memory/CPU at all.
March 15th, 2012 6:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics