Can't change identification of a server
I have a server that is kicked out of our domain for some reason and when I tried to move it to a workgroup and then join it back to the domain, the change button is grayed out. Note. The identification of the computer cannot be changed because networking is not installed or is not properly configured. I had reinstalled TCPIP software, and removed the NIC card frm the vm and then added it back. I had also repaired the NIC couple of times. I still can't make the change button available for edit. Thanks in advance for your help. Tiffany
July 15th, 2011 3:41pm

Sounds like you don’t have admin privilege on this server. What account are you using? Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ Articles - http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html Twitter: @santhosh_sivara - http://twitter.com/santhosh_sivara This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2011 6:24pm

Hello, Santhosh Since the server is not in a domain now, I logged in using the local administrtor accout. Thanks for your reply
July 18th, 2011 10:26am

Did your domain have any policy/GPO's that would have been left on the server that may still be present?
July 18th, 2011 11:21am

I don't believe so.
July 18th, 2011 11:55am

If you are a full admin, and this is a VM server, you need to check a couple things. First, can you change it to a different workgroup? and reboot? Two, do you know what state the VM server is at? does the properties show it having the correct VLAN Virt being assigned to that VM? Is the VM showing up as orphaned? You may need to contact the VM admin. Also is the VM a regular VM? (ie.. new vm... windows... provision.. install windows... etc..) or is it a "image" from an existing template? (I have seen folks using the unsupported process of using a master ghost image to provision servers and the master image get nuked and start a chain reaction of virtual server deaths). Once the server is up and running after changeing the name of the workgroup, can you ping the domain controllers? can you rename the server itself at that point to become MyServer01a instead of MyServer01?
July 18th, 2011 12:19pm

Hello Tiffany, From this server can you ping the DNS server and vice versa? Also, try to create another local account, add to the local administrator group, reboot and log on with the new account and see if you can access the change buttonIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
July 18th, 2011 12:30pm

Since the change button is grayed out, I can't move it to a workgroup or change the computer name and this is the main issue. It is a regular VM, and I had verified vlan had been set up correctly. I can ping domain controllers.
July 18th, 2011 1:18pm

I can ping DNS server from the server, don't have access to the DNS server. I had created another local account, added it to the local adm group, rebooted the server and still can't access the change button.
July 18th, 2011 1:20pm

Tiffany, I am thinking your Netlogon Serice is either not running or is having issues. Got to services (start, run, type in services.msc) and look for the NetLogon Service, if it is not running, click start and also set it to Automatic and restart the machine. Once machine started, check if you can access change button, please reply and let us knowIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
July 18th, 2011 1:31pm

Bingo. The netlogon service is stopped and when I tried to start it, I got: Could not start the Net Logon service on local machine. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
July 18th, 2011 1:43pm

workstation service can't be started. this is the dependency service of net logon and computer browser etc. how do I fix this?
July 18th, 2011 1:46pm

Hello Tiffany, Try this KB see if any can be helpful Workstation Service Does Not Start http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197157 How to Remove and Reinstall the Workstation Service http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248057Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
July 18th, 2011 1:52pm

Can you ensure that the Netlogon and its dependency services are up and running(workstation and server). Also it would be a prudent idea to check the event logs and see any discrepencies.Param Singh MCP,MCITP,MCSE
July 18th, 2011 1:54pm

Hello Tiffany, Try checking to see if HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters pointing to %SystemRoot%\System32\wkssvc.dll If that is in place, try reinstaling the Client for Microsoft Networks, if it is installed, uninstalled and install again.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
July 18th, 2011 2:08pm

Hi, I don't see the parameters pointing to systemroot key and the rest. I had reinstalled Microsoft networks prior to ask this question in the forum. Tiffany
July 19th, 2011 5:09pm

Issac, I can't follow the instruction for the link: Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network. On the Services tab, click the Workstation service. Make note of the other services that are installed on your computer at this time. Click Remove, click Yes when you receive the warning message, and then click Close. It is a windows 2003 sp2 server. Thanks Tiffany
July 19th, 2011 5:17pm

Hello Tiffany, Network here refers to the Local Area Connection. Click on the properties of your LAN, uninstall/Remove client for Microsoft network and reinstall. Remember to reboot in betweenIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE,MCC View my MCP Certifications
July 19th, 2011 5:40pm

Thanx, this worked for me
August 15th, 2012 11:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics