Can't browse the network :-(
Hi Folks; I'm having an issue with Windows 2008 R2 and Network Browsing/Mapping. I've made a jump from Windows 2000 straight to Windows 2008 and I'm afraid it might be showing.... :-0 Anyway, I created a virtual network with 5 Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Servers. Two are Domain Controllers. DNS is correct for all machines. All machines are using the Domain Network connection (in sharing center) and all machines do NOT have the local firewall enabled when they are members of the domain. In addition, I edited group policy and turned on two settings for link layer. I can't use the map the network feature nor can I click on the network icon in Windows Explorer. When I do it takes a few moments and then comes back with an error. Are there any roles I need to install or features to enable browsing the network? What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
May 19th, 2011 7:44pm

Looks like I fixed it. In addition to the above it seems that you need to have the Function Discovery Resume Publication service turned on on each machine. Is there a way to turn that service on for each machine via group policy? Anything to keep me from having to go to each machine and manually editing the services?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2011 12:22am

Hi Dave, Thanks for posting here. If enabling this service could solve this issue then defining it by editing Systems Services Policies could help you to push it to all your hosts of domain: System Services http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349799(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 20th, 2011 12:57am

Thank you VERY much tiger - that link showed me exactly where to go to set services domain-wide. That's going to be something that will be very useful for me!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2011 1:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics