Can't access UNC share on Windows Server 2012 R2

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine with a shared folder. Accessing this folder using a Win7, Win8, Win 2008 R2 machine using \\servername\share works fine. However, accessing the same folder using a Windows 2003 R2 or Windows XP machine does not work. The error message is "The specified network name is no longer available". Accessing a Windows 2012 server share using the same Windows 2003 or Windows XP machine works fine, so it's the combination WinXP/Win2003R2 and Win2012 R2.

Any help is greatly apprec

December 10th, 2013 4:28pm

Sorry for the basic questions, but they have to be asked.

Can the 2003/XP boxes ping the 2012 R2 host by servername? 

Are these members of the same Active Directory domain?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2013 8:09pm

also how have you setup the share? Is it a standard share, how are the permissions set, etc?
December 10th, 2013 8:18pm

Yes, both machines are able to ping each other and are member of the same active directo
December 11th, 2013 8:35am

It is a standard share and the permissions on the share are set to Everyon
December 11th, 2013 8:40am

I'm having the same issue.  It is causing serious problems with AD and those clients. 

Client can ping the server and the server can ping the client (by name & IP).

Problem persists even if I create a share with full everyone permissions.

December 14th, 2013 3:02pm

More details -

On a 2012 R2 server I create a share.  Give everyone full perms on share and folders.

From Win 7 I can access the share via ip & server name.

From 2003 R2 SP2 trying to access via ip & name gives:

Windows cannot find "\\servername\test".  Check the spelling and try again, or try bt blah blah blah.

SMB1.0/CIFS is installed (default) on the server.

FWIW the client is a domain memeber and I'm logged on as a domain admin.

December 14th, 2013 5:10pm

Have a look at my blog (link in signature) look for the article windows xp can't access 2012 file cluster. There is a link to A hot fix which I think may work in this situation too.
December 14th, 2013 5:13pm

Denis, thanks for posting.  The blog post doesn't appear to be applicable in my situation.  Using the command on the 2003 client:

net use Q: \\2012R2server\temp

I get:

System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

I never get to where permissions are an issue (as best I can tell).  Same results when using an IP.  I've tried uninstalling SMB1/CIFS from the server and reinstalling it (no change).

The server is a DC (only 2012 R2 box I have).  Firewalls are off for the domain.

December 14th, 2013 6:27pm

Same here. The windows 2012 R2 box is a DC and WinXP/2003 clients can't access the netlogon share and as a result, group policies on the sysvol share are not processed for WinXP/2003 clients. When I try to map a drive to the netlogon share I get "System error 64 has occurred. The specified network name is no longer available".

SMB1 is installed and enabled, no firewalls, same subnet. With a Win7 machine, with the same logonid I can access the ser

December 17th, 2013 3:40pm

Nicolas - I was having the same problem you're experiencing.  It then just "went away".

In further reviews of the BPA I found that it recommended I set srv.sys to start on demand.  srv.sys does impact SMB.  I was able to set it to start on demand with the following command:

sc config srv start=demand

I suspect that my SMB wasn't running and something finally started it, fixing the problem.  Once XP/2003 clients could access the temporary share I set up they were also able to access the netlogon share/printers/etc.

IDK if that is a fix for your problem.  Check the BPA for the server and if it recommends making the change, try it.

December 17th, 2013 4:20pm

Hi Dennis, I tried changing the srv.sys to start on demand, but that didn't change anything. The odd thing is, after I changed this setting and re-ran the BPA, the BPA result started complaining that the srv.sys service was set to start on demand... There is something seriously wrong with the BPA on Win2012R2 boxes.

Anyway, thanks to this I started looking at the server services and I saw something strange. The server service on Win2012R2 machines has the following dependencies:

• SAM
  • Server SMB 2.xxx Driver

When I looked to the dependencies of the server service on a Windows 2012 box it included Server SMB 1.xxx. Since WinXP/2003 clients use SMB1 I decided to change the dependencies on the Windows 2012 R2 box. I changed following registry key on the Win 2012 R2 box

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\DependOnService

Original Value: SamSS Srv2

Change to: SamSS Srv

After changing the value, I rebooted the server and... it worked for all clients WinXP/Win2003/7/8...

Thanks to Dennis for pointing me in the right direction.

December 18th, 2013 9:39am

Nicolas,

Thanks!  That fixed the problems I was seeing on my end.  I can now add my 2nd DC (for the 3rd time) and see if the fix is permanent.

December 18th, 2013 10:54pm

We are experiencing the same types of issues, and before we make the registry change, we're wondering how wide-spread this issue is across Server 2012 R2? Also, have you seen the same types of sharing problems with Mac's? We primarily found this problem via Mac user complaints, and then found XP users had problems connecting to the shares as well. A separate Server 2012 R2 system is able to provide SMB2 shares to Mac's without problems. Thanks for any and all feedback
February 19th, 2014 1:04am

Nicolas answer resolved our problems, but I'm still curious why SMB2 does not allow access to shares from XP/Mac clients. Anyway thank you for your research and resolution.
February 20th, 2014 5:45pm

According to TechNet, SMB 1.0 is deprecated on Windows Server 2012 R2:

"SMB 1.0 is deprecated. Once this is removed, systems running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 (or older) operating systems will not be able to access file shares. SMB 1.0 has been replaced by SMB 2.0 and newer versions."

February 25th, 2014 9:15pm

Hi Dennis, I tried changing the srv.sys to start on demand, but that didn't change anything. The odd thing is, after I changed this setting and re-ran the BPA, the BPA result started complaining that the srv.sys service was set to start on demand... There is something seriously wrong with the BPA on Win2012R2 boxes.

Anyway, thanks to this I started looking at the server services and I saw something strange. The server service on Win2012R2 machines has the following dependencies:

• SAM
  • Server SMB 2.xxx Driver

When I looked to the dependencies of the server service on a Windows 2012 box it included Server SMB 1.xxx. Since WinXP/2003 clients use SMB1 I decided to change the dependencies on the Windows 2012 R2 box. I changed following registry key on the Win 2012 R2 box

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\DependOnService

After changing the value, I rebooted the server and... it worked for all clients WinXP/Win2003/7/8...

Thanks to Dennis for pointing me in the right direction.

March 4th, 2014 9:31pm

OMG!!!  I've been trying to figure this issue out for 4 full days straight and couldn't find the answer anywhere.  I wish this could go to the top of the google search.  

As an FYI:  Anyone having an issue binding (joining) an xp or 2003 machine to a domain that has windows 2012R2 as the PDC will have the same issue because it can't get to the sysvol.  This regedit fixed everything and I can finally join XP and 2003 machines to the domain.  The error you'll get is: the following error occurred attempting to join the domain the specified network name is no longer available

Change the key and BAM...worked like a charm.  Now I can go back to the 1000 other things I have piling up on my list.

THANK YOU!!!!!

March 6th, 2014 6:27pm

Thank you for your answer ! That really helped me but if i can suggest something : Only add "'Srv" to the "DependOnService" key... Don't remove "Srv2" from this key unless you have to for another good reason !
March 17th, 2014 1:33pm

Works like a charm :). Thanks for your help.
March 21st, 2014 4:29am

For anyone that is reading this and experiencing this, I would be interested in the output of the following commands on the WS 2012 R2 server

sc query srv
sc query srv2

Also the output of this powershell cmdlet on the WS 2012 R2 server.

get-smbserverconfiguration 

I cannot repro the symptom.

March 28th, 2014 3:57pm

Here is the output, I had the same problem before I used the fix above, this information is taken before I fixed the problem:

sc query srv

SERVICE_NAME: srv
        TYPE               : 2  FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sc query srv2

SERVICE_NAME: srv2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

get-smbserverconfiguration

AnnounceServer                  : False

AsynchronousCredits             : 64

AutoShareServer                 : True

AutoShareWorkstation            : True

CachedOpenLimit                 : 5

AnnounceComment                 :

EnableDownlevelTimewarp         : False

EnableLeasing                   : True

EnableMultiChannel              : True

EnableStrictNameChecking        : True

AutoDisconnectTimeout           : 0

DurableHandleV2TimeoutInSeconds : 30

EnableAuthenticateUserSharing   : False

EnableForcedLogoff              : True

EnableOplocks                   : True

EnableSecuritySignature         : True

ServerHidden                    : True

IrpStackSize                    : 15

KeepAliveTime                   : 2

MaxChannelPerSession            : 32

MaxMpxCount                     : 50

MaxSessionPerConnection         : 16384

MaxThreadsPerQueue              : 20

MaxWorkItems                    : 1

NullSessionPipes                :

NullSessionShares               :

OplockBreakWait                 : 35

PendingClientTimeoutInSeconds   : 120

RequireSecuritySignature        : True

EnableSMB1Protocol              : True

EnableSMB2Protocol              : True

Smb2CreditsMax                  : 2048

Smb2CreditsMin                  : 128

SmbServerNameHardeningLevel     : 0

TreatHostAsStableStorage        : False

ValidateAliasNotCircular        : True

ValidateShareScope              : True

ValidateShareScopeNotAliased    : True

ValidateTargetName              : True

EncryptData                     : False

RejectUnencryptedAccess         : True

Br
Matias

March 30th, 2014 1:51pm

---

---

This worked for me but as another poster stated, it seems better to ADD Srv (leaving SamSS and Srv2).

I have seen this on only one of my 2012R2 boxes, but it is interesting to note that the box having this issue has a number of other things running (SQL, IIS, etc), so I suspect that with a number of services starting that LanManServer is starting before SMB 1.0 driver has a chance to initalize.  Some testing before find this solution was to set LanManServer to delayed start which accomplishes something similar (giving time for SMB 1.0 driver to load) and also to do a restart of LanManServer 5 minutes after reboot.

Seems like there are sporadic reports of this all over, but this seems to point to the root cause of the issue.

In 2012R2 MS has made SMB 1.0 "optional" but installed by default, but I suspect that this also means that the dependency is not being correctly attached to the service that needs it for "legacy" clients.

• Edited by Jason F-Z Friday, April 04, 2014 3:08 AM
April 4th, 2014 3:06am

Hi,

Your workaround worked for me too. You don't need to restart the server right away. Just start the srv service.

Thank you

C:\Windows\system32>sc query srv

STATE              : 1  STOPPED
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1077  (0x435)

C:\Windows\system32>sc start srv

PID                : 0
        FLAGS              :

• Edited by Adrian Les Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:50 AM
April 24th, 2014 11:49am

---

---

This worked for me but as another poster stated, it seems better to ADD Srv (leaving SamSS and Srv2).

@Jason, if you twirl down the system components dependencies of the Server SMB 1.xxx Driver you will see that it itself depends on the Server SMB 2.xxx Driver, so there should be no need in explicitly keeping the Srv2 entry in the Server service dependency list.  It will get loaded either way.

May 9th, 2014 12:54pm

Thanks Nicolas/Dennis - just to say I had this on Monday and the fix worked like a charm after trying numerous others issues I stumbled on this post. Excellent work !! and thanks again !
May 14th, 2014 6:59am

I can verify the exact same solution. Worked like a champ!
July 31st, 2014 6:08pm

This fix also allows linux clients like media streamers (HDI Dune etc) to see Server 2012 R2 shares. Wish i had found this sooner, wasted 5 hours fixing this.

August 4th, 2014 9:31am

you made my day! Many thanks. This hint saved my sunday afternoon!
August 10th, 2014 3:00pm

A KB article and fix for this issue was released today.

KB 2976994 - Shared folder in Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 cannot be accessed by using SMB version 1 protocol

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976994

The fix is included in the August 2014 update rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2.

2975719 August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719/

Cheers!

Chris

August 12th, 2014 10:38pm

Well that only took Microsoft 8 months...lol. I guess better late than never.
August 13th, 2014 4:09pm

We have the same problem as described here.

We have installed the 2975719 August 2014 update rollup, but no changes in behaviour.

I see the registry is still "SamSS Srv2". Was this update supposed to change this, or did it do other things to make it work?

We have still not tested setting "SamSS Srv2 Srv" as it is a prod environment and will wait for service window. But would be interesting to know if this is the problem, or if it might be other things.

September 19th, 2014 12:18pm

@Laila_, if you have 2003 DC's or just XP machines in your environment they are unable to use SMB v2. This is the problem.

As per Microsoft in Shared folder in Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 cannot be accessed by using SMB version 1 protocol;

To work around this issue, change the following registry value on the computer on which you create a shared folder. To do this, follow these steps:

1. As a local administrator, run Registry Editor.
  2. Explore to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanManServer.
  3. Right-click DependOnService registry entry, and then click Modify.
  4. In the Value data box, type SamSS Srv2 Srv, and then click OK.
  5. Exit Registry Editor.
  6. Restart the computer.

• Edited by S.Musser Friday, September 19, 2014 12:44 PM
September 19th, 2014 12:44pm

@S.Musser yes i know but that is not what i was asking.

If you see Chris Puckett's post, there is now a KB fix for this from MS - the KB you are reffering to actually.

We have implemented the KB fix but is still does not work. And it did not change the registry key.

So what i am asking is; was the KB fix supposed to change the registry key, or was it supposed to do something else to fix the issue? Anyone else tried this fix and got it working without editing registry?

• Edited by Laila_ Friday, September 19, 2014 12:52 PM
September 19th, 2014 12:51pm

The KB article references the Rollup 2975719.

Are you saying you have used the registry workaround? If so, you may have a different issue.

Personally I applied the registry fix not wanting to rely on the patch. That is not to say I did not install the Rollup, just my personal preference.

September 19th, 2014 1:14pm

No, when i said "we have implemented the KB fix" i meant installed rollup 2975719.

We have not used the reg workaround - because one should think the rollup would fix the problem. But it didn't.

September 19th, 2014 1:34pm

What would happen is that the Server service would try to bind to the Srv driver before it was ready. The workaround of adding Srv to the dependency list prevented this.  The fix for this issue in the update rollup (KB 2975719) does not implement the registry modification to solve this.  it does some additional verification to ensure the Srv driver is ready for the Server service to bind to it.

You could try the registry modification as a test to see if it resolves the issue for you.  If it does not, you could be encountering something else.

September 19th, 2014 4:26pm

Nicolas Moreno1<abbr class="affil"></abbr>  Thanks excellent. Going crazy here the repadmin /syncall reporting no errors but unable to demote the old 2003 server changing the registry key did the magic. Did not want to do a dcpromo/ force
September 19th, 2014 7:32pm

Hi

In windows sever 2012 R2 for this problem, you should do it:

1- Start Service srv.sys to ONDEMAND  =   sc config srv start=demand

2- Change registry value for this:  Computer/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Current Control Set/Services/Srv        and then change " DependOnService " to "srv2"

3- restart system

Bingooo

September 20th, 2014 12:48pm

Just wanted to inform you that implementing reg fix worked for us.

Which means that the rollup KB 2975719 did not fix what it was supposed to in our system, but the workaround regfix did.

So it is definately worth a shot doing the reg edit if installing the KB rollup does not fix the problem.

September 22nd, 2014 8:20am

I compared two of my 2012R2 servers one that worked and one that didn't. The differences was that the srv service was disabled on the server that wasn't working.

I 1st tried to set it to start on demand but it didn't auto start.
sc config srv start=demand

I then set it to auto start and manually started the service, this fixed my problem.
(No reboot required)

sc config srv start=auto
sc start srv

• Edited by Paul Kochie Monday, October 20, 2014 6:05 PM
October 20th, 2014 6:04pm

I experience exactly the same issue.

Although there are only 2008R2 and 2012 R2 DC's in the domain and all clients are Win 7.

So I suppose changing the registry key would not solve my problem, since SMB v1 is not used with these OS'ses ?

June 3rd, 2015 2:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics