Can't See Computers in Network
We recently decommissioned a Windows 2000 domain control and installed a new Win 2008 SBS Server as a the domain controller and form a new domain for our network. A mixture of Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista and Windows 7 computers. For several days, all computers could see each other in MS Windows Network. However, now the Win 2008 server only sees post xp machines, and post xp machines can see each other and the server. No other machines can be seen on the network, and none of the pre vista machines can see any computer on the network. Network Discovery is on, Computer Browser Service is on. Could use some input. Thanks, Tom
August 16th, 2010 6:32pm

Hello, is NetBios over TCP/IP enabled on the NIC? Do you work with additional subnets, then WINS is required.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2010 7:44pm

Yes, NetBios is enabled, and no, there are no additional subnets. We don't know what it would work for the first few days, and then stop. Tom
August 16th, 2010 9:02pm

Have a look at this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Why-can-t-I-see-other-computers-on-my-network
August 16th, 2010 9:12pm

As outline in my posts, those items have been checked. Thanks.
August 16th, 2010 10:30pm

I must ask this obvious question so please forgive me. Was anything on the network changed, added, or removed before the problem was noticed?I hope this information answered your question or was helpful.
August 16th, 2010 11:33pm

That's a good question. No, nothing was changed, added or removed. I also need to point out that if you open Network Neighborhood and type in the computer name, it will show all the shared folders. Just can't see anything in the network tree/map.
August 17th, 2010 3:59pm

We have found the problem. Our NSD had tried to take over as the Master Browser. Thanks to all who responded.
August 17th, 2010 9:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics