CA Missing Templates in Enable Certificate Templates
One of the other admins recently reinstalled our only CA server, and since then a bunch of certificates that were formerly available are no longer issuable. After going to the Enable Certificate Templates dialog, some of the certificates are not listed. The server IS running Windows Server Enterprise 2008 R2 SP1 (I verified this before posting) and the certificates have replicated to all the DCs. Some of the certificate templates in question are default certificates (Workstation Authentication templates) and others are not (The ConfigMgr certificates). Any suggestions on what we might be missing?
July 21st, 2011 11:12am

Are you only able to add v1 templates but no v2 or v3? /Hasain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2011 11:44am

We have a few v2 certificates that are enabled for issuing, so we can use v2 (and I'm assuming v3).I know who teaches your children, and I weep for the future generations.
July 21st, 2011 11:48am

Please check the permissions of the templates not showing up on the add list and make sure that your admin account having the minimum of "read" permission /Hasain
July 21st, 2011 12:05pm

Permissions on one of the templates in question: Authenticated Users: Read Enterprise RODC: Enroll, Autoenroll Administrator: Read, Write Domain Admins: Read, Write, Enroll Domain Computers: Enroll Domain Controllers: Enroll, Autoenroll Enterprise Admins: Read, Write, Enroll Enterprise DC: Enroll, Autoenroll I know who teaches your children, and I weep for the future generations.
July 21st, 2011 12:08pm

That worked. Is there a particular reason why it is forcing us to add the certificate templates from the command line?I know who teaches your children, and I weep for the future generations.
July 21st, 2011 1:52pm

The two methods makes the same changes on the Enrollment Service object so there should not be any different in behavior.
July 21st, 2011 2:13pm

Well, the enrollment command line allows me to explicitly define the certificate I want to put into the deployment list, but the GUI version doesn't list any certificates in it, so I am unable to select them that way. I know who teaches your children, and I weep for the future generations.
July 21st, 2011 4:12pm

How about your clients, are you able to issue a certificate from the template you added using the certutil command? Using certmgr.msc, are your clients able to see the template or is the CA failing requests based on that template? Have you tried to just restart your CA server at any point
July 21st, 2011 4:39pm

I was successfully able to see and enroll in the certificate that I had added using the certutil command. And the templates I added using this DO show up on clients and in the certmgr.msc. The server was rebooted a couple of days ago, after the issue started, but we haven't tried again since then.I know who teaches your children, and I weep for the future generations.
July 21st, 2011 4:45pm

Correct. Luckily we don't add new templates too frequently, so if the the GUI never functions quite right (and that is the only issue we've noticed), I'm fairly sure we can live with it.I know who teaches your children, and I weep for the future generations.
July 21st, 2011 4:55pm

Hasain thank you very much. I didn think that GUI could be one of problems. thank you again for you time, Keli keli
October 3rd, 2012 9:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics