Bulk data move 3rd party program or sugestions
Good Day We are running windows 2008R2 SP1 and I need to move bulk data from one drive to say another while keeping permisions if *I* so choose or it will take on new permission from the new folder. I would like the program to be simple to use and it dosn't have to be a speed deamon either. We are looking at moving say 125gig of data. I have tried Robocopy and that seems a little old and may have messed up my permissions so not sure if I want to use that again. Any help or suggestion would be grateful.
June 22nd, 2012 1:18pm

1. I am missing iniformation on the targer drive, is it on another computer? Is this computer part of active directory or workgroup or "foreing" one? 2. There are "physical" limits and no program can accelerate transfer. 3. I prefer native tools like xcopy. (...try to compare copy with xcopy) 4. There is possibility to increase packet size (jumbo frame) 5. For faster transfer there are gigabit range NICs (10Gb, fiber channel etc...) Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2012 3:02pm

The target drive is another drive on the server this drive is not backed up as much so it is archive data which is manually backed up when needed. The other drive is backed up on a daily basses. The server is a Windows 2008R2 with SP1. I am not looking for speed more like functionality and ease of use. I have tried xcopy a long time ago and would prefer something a little more up to date. I am not looking to break the bank ether. To be honest never thought Xcopy was part of Windows 2008R2 still. I know the permissions are now different and I want to make sure that I have a program that works with 2008R2. I used Robocopy the first time I moved these files and tried another one that MS has, did not work well. Robocopy the GUI version was OK but the command line was better, I just don't think it worked well with 2008R2. Now at times permission would change and I have to go in and change one back and they all turn back. I set permissions from the father going down at times when a person copies or moves a file over it takes on their file permissions and not the folders. This is why I was looking for something else, figured somebody out here must have tried other programs. Thanks Adam Raff PS I closed the other post sorry.
June 22nd, 2012 4:04pm

Robocopy (command line version) is still the mostly used tool when transerring data. With the parameter "/copy:S", it could help copy NTFS permissions to target. You could also try FSMT. It is using DFS to migrate data. See: Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10268TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2012 4:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics