Bug SSMS2012 - Showing Different Connecting String from the Same Data Sources between Local and Remote Connection

Hi

I checked (using my SSMS2012 from my laptop connecting to SM-CNTS-VWW01 server) the Data Source tab from the Job Properties after I have updated the package configuration but it didn't reflected the changed I made.

Surprisingly, if I remote connect to that server and open SSMS2012 (local). It shows the correct connection string (SM-CNTS-VSQL03 ). Basically I'm connecting to the same server, verify the connection of the same JOB but I'm getting different result?

SSMS version from Laptop

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 11.0.5058.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 11.0.5058.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.10.9200.17357
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.18408
Operating System 6.1.7601

SSMS Version from the SM-CNTS-VWW01 Server

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 11.0.3153.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 11.0.3130.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.0.6002.18005
Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.1026
Operating System 6.0.6002

July 27th, 2015 4:31am

Hi Vinxster,

After testing the issue in my environment, I can reproduce it when the configuration file stored on the remote server.

Based on my research, it seems that the issue is caused by the place where configuration file stored. If the configuration file is stored on the remote server, then the connection string would be updated on the remote server. In this scenario, the connection string wouldnt be updated when you connect to the SSMS on the local server. If the configuration file is stored on the local server, then the connection string would be updated on the local server. In this scenario, the connection string wouldnt be updated when you connect to the SSMS on the remote server.

If you have concern about this issue, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation to the proper department for their consideration. Please feel free to submit your situation on our product to the following link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Besides, to work around this issue, we need copy the configuration file to the same places on all servers, then change the path of configuration file from UNC to local path in the job step.

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2015 1:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics