Bug: Windows 2008 does register dns eventhough set differently
In Windows 2008 I have unchecked the option "Register this connection's address in DNS" on the NIC where our iSCSI connection is. It has now happend on two servers where we started using iSCSI that the server DOES register the SAN ip-number in the dns and that clients cannot reach the server by name as some get the iSCSI ip-number from the DNS. :-( I have checked the setting several times, removed the dns entry manualy several times and it keeps coming back. The iSCSI address it assigned by hand on the server, there is no DHCP server or something else that could register the ip-number on behalf of the server. Should I report this as a bug? If so, where? In the meantime, how do I prevent this until a real sollution is found? I thought about setting the ACL on the dns record so it cannot change but... that is not the sollution as it does not change, there is merely a second record with a different ip-number being added. :-( (a few days later) One difference I have been able to find is that servers with this strange behaviour are DC and dns server and the othres are simple fileservers or have some other non DC or DNS function. I'm still investigating but so fa no sollution. :-( (somewhat later) I may have been able to solve this. Probably the fact that the dns role was installed on the server, eventhough the local dns server setting pointed to the "real" site dns server, must have played some role. After deleting the local dns server, deleting the wrong dns record from the "real" site dns server once more and waiting a while the faulty dns reconds has not come back yet. It may be that allthough on the server the local dns server role was added by mistake, never deleting it made the server register both it's ip-numbers to that local dns server. That local dns server probably replicated those records to the "real" dns server, which was configured as the "real" dns server on the server. Somehow deleting the faulty record on the "real" dns server did not replicate back to the local dns server which then probably replicated the faulty record back to the other dns servers. Why this was happening.... I don't know. Maybe someone at Microsoft can replicate this using the information I have given. For me it seems this is solved. I'll have look again tomorrow and wil mark this thrad as solved if it realy is. ;-)
October 29th, 2010 9:54am

Hi DNS Servers and DC servers will always register all nics into the domain. There is a thread about multihoming within this forum. I'd personally add a new dns zone, and add the sufix to the secondard Network addresses, this should stop alot of your issues. Also please ensure that the production network nic is bound as the first network device. Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2010 5:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics