Bug: Memory leak on large network file copies, Server 2008-RTM
When I copy large VHD's (35 GB) between two servers in two different workgroups using Windows Explorer, memory usage climbs until all the memory is used up. When the copy completes, the memory is not released. I just installed Hyper-V RC0 and am now noticing the problem. Server has 24 GB RAM. When I start server, only 3GB RAM is used, during large network file copy, all available RAM disappears and is never released. Need to reboot server to free up the RAM. This is repeatable.
March 29th, 2008 4:59pm

Hello Peter - We too are having this issue, can you read over http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3043575&SiteID=17 Are you experiencing the same issue? Any headway? Brett
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 5th, 2008 2:39am

As a workaround, I now use ROBOCOPY from the command line to copy files. This results in all the FREE memory going to cache, so free memory goes tozero and cache memory increases, but overall memory usage does not go up and the server continues to function. I can't really experiment further as this server is a production box (hyper-v role) hosting four virtual servers and I can't risk bringing the server down. Good luck, -Peter
April 6th, 2008 5:04am

UPDATE: I have set up a second Windows 2008 server, also with hyper-v role, butwith different hardware and the copy problem does not happen. The memory still gets used up during the copy, but it gets released when the copy finishes. The server which has the problem is using a 10GbE NIC. I'm thinking there may be some issue with the NIC driver or some of the TCP offload functions. I'll be investigating further and post my findings. -Peter
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2008 6:42pm

I too, am experiencing the same issue. Windows Server 2008, 64bit, fully patched. Network card is HP NC510c (10 Gb, NetXen). If I copy files accross the network, the memory usage increases and is not released. Left unchecked, the server runs out of memory and becomes unmanageble.Any progress?Thanks
August 18th, 2008 11:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics