Browsing is NOT active on Domain
Hi Running W2k3 Domain. 2 DC's. Background: We're in the process of migrating subnets for VLAN. Currently the Server VLan has 2 VLANS associated to it, and on the OLD VLAN we have the 2 DC's. On the New VLAN we have another 2 servers built up and ready to go as DC's. These are already doing the following roles: WINS, DNS DHCP and Time. Now I'm ready to remove the DC's from the old VLAN. The first DC has had the FSMO roles transferred (RID,PID and PDC). All good, no errors. Demoted 1st OLD DC and it has been removed from the domain (Browstat status shows 2nd old DC as Browse master and new as backup, run on both OLD and NEW DC's) Transferred the FSMO rolls of Schema Master and Operations master to 2nd new DC. All good, no errors. 2nd OLD DC has not yet been demoted or removed. Still on the domain as a DC) FSMO Roles look as follows: Schema Master : 2nd new DC Domain Naming Master: 2nd New DC Infrastructure Master: 1st New DC RID Master: 1st New DC PDC Emulator: 1st New DC Browstat status on the 2nd OLD DC shows it being the Browse Master. Browstat status on the 1st and 2nd new DC shows Browsing is NOT active on Domain. Can anyone help in trying to narrow down why this should be happening. Thanks Dave
October 27th, 2010 8:40pm

Some more information: When both DC's are running the FSMO roles on the NEW VLAN, any server/workstation on this VLAN also reports the same "Browsing is NOT active on Domain" error on browstat status. NOW If I transfer the Schema and operation roles back to the DC on the old VLAN and wait 10 mins or so, the browstat status on the NEW VLAN starts reporting the browse master. Would a misconfigured L3 cisco switch cause this sort of behaviour?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2010 9:31pm

Hi, I would like to suggest you perform the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue: 1. Make sure the WINS server is able to resolve the DomainName type <1b> entry for the PDC. 2. Disable and stop Computer Browser service on the new PDC, run the computer nbtstat -R and nbtstat -RR on new PDC. After that, enable and start the Computer Browser service to check the result. 3. On the new PDC, navigate to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\services\browser\parameters], change value of IsDomainMaster to TRUE and MaintainServerList to Yes. After htat, restart the computer to check the result. According to the following thread, the incorrect CISCO router settings may cause some problem. Master Browser - MRxSmb event ID 8003 problem http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winservergen/thread/86969451-77e6-44f0-85be-4cf710770376 For more troublehsooting suggestions, please refer to the following Microsoft KB articles: Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 29th, 2010 5:56am

Hi Answers to your questions: 1. I only get 1bh types for the domain name. it's ip points to the other 1st new PDC. not the 2nd new one. 2. done 3. done No change, still getting Browsing is not active on domain. I think the CISCO setup is correct, but am having this checked. (unfortunately this isn't managed by me....) Dave
October 31st, 2010 4:56pm

Hi, I would like to confirm that have you tried the troubleshooting steps the Microsoft KB article I provided above and what is the result? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 3rd, 2010 5:07am

Ok, following the steps in the document: Getmaster returns the following error: Unable to get Master: Access is denied. I'm running this as the Domain Admin Account Every command I run (from the trouble shooting steps) on the PDC returns a result, yet I still get the Browsing is NOT active on domain. Dave
November 3rd, 2010 4:24pm

How to fix Unable to get Master Access is denied http://networkadminkb.com/kb/Knowledge%20Base/Windows2003/How%20to%20fix%20Unable%20to%20get%20Master%20Access%20is%20denied.aspx
January 30th, 2011 3:56pm

Hi Thanks, but I have now actually found the issue. There was a misconfiguration on one of our layer 3 switches which meant that the server IPs referenced where incorrect. Once this was changed the issue went away.
January 30th, 2011 4:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics