Broadcast message to all logged in AD users.

Hello fellow TechNet users.

I have been wondering how other companies are able to send a popup notification to all their logged in users notifying maintainance or whatever they want to send.

I've tried the msg command It only displayed the message on the server not the clients.

So what I want to do is:

Send a message to all clients that is logged in on their computers without having to specify each individual computer or account.

Is this possible?

EDIT: Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
  • Edited by Bicobajas Friday, September 04, 2015 12:48 PM Included what server im running
September 4th, 2015 12:48pm

Look at net send https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490710.aspx

Sends messages to other users, computers, or messaging names on the network.

Remarks

• You can send a message only to a name that is active on the network. If you send the message to a user name, that user must be logged on and running the Messenger service to receive the message.

• You can broadcast a message to all of the names in your computer's domain (use * or /domain), or a different domain (/domain:DomainName). Broadcast messages can contain up to 128 characters. Use discretion when you send messages to multiple users.

• /users lets you send a message to all users who have sessions with the server. Use discretion when you send messages to multiple users.

• The Messenger service must be running for messages to be received. For more information about how to start a service, see Related Topics.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:44pm

Net Send is not working on my server.
September 5th, 2015 7:05pm

Net Send is not working on my server.

"NET SEND" is a very old command. If you are using a modern version of Windows, probably try this:

msg * /SERVER:server_name Message goes here. And more text here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2015 7:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics