Brain Teaser
Hi There I dont think this is the right place the post this question but seeing as Im using windows server 2003 standard edition I thought someone might be able to help. The server is just a high end pc with a gigabyte motherboard and this morning my on board usb adapter decided not to work anymore so now no one can connect to the network as this was configured to serve the LAN.. I have two other spare PCIE slots which are in use for two other connections (one is dsl & the other is for wireless users). anyway my problem is that I cannot remove the two cards already installed in the server and I need to connect my server to the LAN but I dont have anywhere to install an additional ethernet adapter. I tried to install a usb lan adapter today but its not compaitble with windows server 2003, so Im wondering if anyone has any other suggestions as to how i might solve this problem without having to replace the motherboard and buy one with an additional pcie slot? Basically I need to find a way to connect my switch to my server without having an Ethernet adapter in the server to connect to :0) thanks in advance for any suggestions Cathy
August 7th, 2010 6:28pm

Did you install the chipset drivers from the pc manufacturer? Why wouldn't you use the integrated LAN adapter? To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom" devices) Save the following two lines as a file then execute. --------------------------setdev.bat--------------------- set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 start devmgmt.msc --------------------------------------------------------- Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices. Do not edit the registry. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 7th, 2010 6:36pm

i did install the original drivers from the manufacturer and until today the integrated LAN adapter has been working fine, but now it doesn't. Ive tried to reinstall it but no joy which is why my users cannot connect. Thanks
August 7th, 2010 6:58pm

Is it an integrated LAN adapter? You mentioned USB not Ethernet? Did you install the mobo chipset? I'd also look for bangs ! or ?, or stop codes in Device Management Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 7th, 2010 7:10pm

yes its the intergrated lan adapter thats causing the problem. I tried to use a USB Ethernet adapter so I could connect my ethernet cable to a usb port but its was not compatible. what do you mean by mobo chipset & bangs? Thanks Cathy
August 8th, 2010 8:37am

Don't know what hardware you're using but these days with devices like network interface, storage controllers, display adapters that are integrated into the mobo require a chipset driver to make them available to the OS. Generally the second step after installing the operating system. Should be on the disk that came with your pc or mother board. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 8th, 2010 5:14pm

Hi Dave - I think your missing the point. This server has been installed for maybe 2-3 years and has been working great, until a few days ago when the onboard or integrated lan car stopped working. My switch which connected lan users was using this connection and so will no longer work. I cannot install any additional ethernet cards cos I dont have the space on the board so Im looking for alternative suggestions as to how I can connect another lan card? Hope that makes sense Thanks
August 12th, 2010 12:25pm

I think you're left with mother board replacement if it has failed. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 13th, 2010 5:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics