Blue Screens on Windows Server 2003 RC2 Standard Edition
Everytime I try to update my SQL Server 2005 database (stored and running on Windows Server 2003 RC2 Standard edition, I get a blue screen. Below is the Dumpchk analysis of the MEMORY.dmp file associated with the error: DUMP_HEADER32:MajorVersion 0000000fMinorVersion 00000eceDirectoryTableBaseb4485000PfnDataBase 81400000PSLoadedModuleList808af9c8PsActiveProcessHead808b5be8MachineImageType 0000014cNumberProcessors 00000002BugCheckCode 000000f4BugCheckParameter100000003BugCheckParameter289ff8240BugCheckParameter389ff83a4BugCheckParameter480967bccPaeEnabled 00000000KdDebuggerDataBlock8089d3e0 SUMMARY_DUMP32DumpOptions 504d4453HeaderSize 0001a000BitmapSize 000bfff0Pages 00004d72Bitmap.SizeOfBitMap000bfff0 KiProcessorBlock as 808aedc0 2 KiProcessorBlock entries: ffdff120 f772f120 I had to copy the dmp file from the affected system to my own so that I could run the dump check, so any information thereafter in the analysis is very likely irrelevant to the issue at hand.Some forum posts on the BugCheckCode seem to indicate an issue with the hard drive, but as this system in particular is running on a RAID configuration, I think that can be ruled out (I'm open to correction on that matter).This is matter of extreme importance and I very urgently need a resolution (or at least some troubleshooting advice).Thanks in advance for any and all help.Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
October 22nd, 2009 2:43pm

I was hoping to general ideas about what could be causing the problem... Or even a suggestion on where to start troubleshooting...I have called my local Microsoft support centre, and I don't have the authority to say "Yes, I'll pay to get help solving my issue". It seems telephonic support on a product that's already been paid for is a chargeable commodity these days...The support person I spoke to recommended that I go to support.microsoft.com which led me here, now if you can't help me, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of some resource (that I HAVEN'T already been to) that can.Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 22nd, 2009 4:15pm

Hi, I suggest disabling all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps: Clean Boot ======= 1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK. Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue. If the issue persists, I am afraid that we have to analyze dump files. However, we do not provide debugging support in this forum. You have to contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. But it is not free of charge. Or you may discuss this issue in our SQL Server forum for more assistance as this issue happens with SQL Server 2005: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver/ Tim Quan - MSFT
October 23rd, 2009 5:14am

The only thing in the startup items on the server is ctfmon.There is a service called SmartCardLink (or similar) that looks suspect though, but otherwise there's nothing running on there except basic MS services and SQL Server.I found this thread that suggests that this could happen in SSMS as a result of graphics card drivers:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/76c876ef-b043-44e4-b062-99730bb9648dOut of date graphics drivers doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could cause this specific stop error though.FYI: STOP 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89FF8240, 0x89FF83A4, 0x80967BCC)Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
October 23rd, 2009 10:50am

It looks like I might've wasted your time - my apologies.To better understand the issue, I spoke to the guy who was working on the system at the time of the stop error and found out what he was doing just before the blue screen.Obviously, anything he was doing at the time wasn't saved, so I sat down, prepared to replicate the problem. I did everything the guy said he'd done, and the actions processed without incident.I think it's worth noting though, that I have seen the blue screen and the Event Log error message (and then there's the memory dump in my initial post on this thread. Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
October 23rd, 2009 11:36am

I've just replicated the error!!!I still don't know why it's happening (which is why I'm posting), but I can tell you what the circumstances are:I've just finished importing data into a database on SQL Server. Because of issues with the flat source files for this data, columns that were supposed to have dates in them were imported as nvarchar(100).Because SQL Server can't convert this DataType straight to datetime, I'm using ALTER statements to convert to varchar(100) first.The stop error occurs when I try to run my alter statement on tables that contain upwards of 1 million rows.Anyone got any ideas why this is causing the stop error? If anything, I thought SQL Server would just crash with too much data, not the whole server.Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
October 29th, 2009 2:29pm

Hi, For blue screen issues, please contact our Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS). For SQL Server issues, please discuss them in our SQL Server forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver/ Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Tim Quan - MSFT
October 30th, 2009 5:54am

Just had the same blue screen again today, and this time, there weren't any SQL actions being run on the server. I was trying to restart it in point of fact.I have posted on the SQL Server forum as per your suggestion, but the fact that this happened while nothing was being done on SQL Server pretty much rules that out as a possibility.Logan Young, MCPD Web Developer hopeful
October 30th, 2009 2:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics