Block Internet Access
Hello Please can you assist, I have a domian network environmnet running win 2008 and 10 clinets. We ant to add an additional client. On the additional client we want to block them from using the internet connection from the network, but they must be able to us their own connection (3G).Is there a way that we can do this?
January 26th, 2010 7:35pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. From your description, you want to restrict the Internet access from the additional client in the network. 1. You will need to create Reservation in DHCP service to make sure the additional client has a assigned IP address. 2. Set the ACLs on the router to block the Internet access from the additional client (IP address). If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2010 9:25am

Thank you, is there any other options.
January 27th, 2010 5:10pm

Since you only have 10 client computers, the easiest and most cost effective way to handle this is as Miles described by restricting access on the router so that only the IP addresses you allow or block will be affected.A more elegant approach is to deploy a PROXY server and restrict ALL outbound internet access from every IP on the network except your PROXY server. Therefore you would require all computers to use the proxy server to gain access to the web. Then, all of your filtering options such as who can get access to the internet and what sites are allowed, who is logged, etc... is done by this server.Otherwise, I see no other options other than trying to configure the blocks on the individual computers, which I would NOT recommend because it will be inconsistent and provide easy work arounds for those users which are admins of their own systems. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2010 6:37pm

2. Set the ACLs on the router to block the Internet access from the additional client (IP address). This is the easiest and most secure option. The only other option would be if you have a webfilter is to block all internet traffic from the MAC address. Blocking traffic at the router / firewall is the best option since it isnt dependant on the client computer or modifing settings on the client computers.
February 10th, 2010 3:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics