Blank pages in report preview
Hello, Everyone,

I'm new to Reporting Services.  I wrote a report today containing one grouping.  Everything appears all right in the report preview, except that every other page is "blank", i.e., shows only the page header and page footer; all grouping and detail information is missing.  The data on the page following the blank page seems to pick up where the previous non-blank page left off, so all information seems to be present within the report.

The report width and height properties are typical portrait-style  -- 8.5 x 11 inches.  The columns do not "run off the edge" of the report page boundary.  I haven't selected any page break for the grouping, as the grouping detail is typically only a few rows long, and would otherwise result in a very large number of pages.  Can anyone offer some advice to correct this problem, please?

Many thanks!

Craig
August 1st, 2005 11:33pm

I found the problem cause.  In Reporting Services,

report body width must be <= (report width - report margins width).

I reduced the margins to zero width, and the pagination problem disappeared!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2005 5:25pm

Hi,

I am struggeling with the same problem, only your solution does not work for me...

My page width = 30cm, Report Width = 26cm, Margins = 1 cm allround, and no fields are set to CanGrow=false, any other ideas?

I'm using RS 2000

June 28th, 2006 5:51am

I have just upgraded the report to RS 2005 without any modifications,and the problem disappeared, seems to be a RS 2000 bug...
June 30th, 2006 6:32am

Hi,

I'm having the same problem but with a twist.

If the body width <= report width+margins then i only get 1 page of the report with no blank pages. (supposed to be 2)

If however the body width> report width+margins then i get all the pages but with an extra 2 blank pages.

Any ideas anyone? (I'm using RS2005)

• Proposed as answer by dgeffs Monday, September 12, 2011 4:25 PM
January 26th, 2007 12:02pm

Craig,

Thanks! That one had me. All I had to do was right-click on the "Body" section and set the width to 10in and it worked fine.

Jim

February 7th, 2007 1:53am

Had another similar problem, this time involving a matrix Table (cross-tab) in the Body section of the report. I had to actually make the Table itself smaller (narrower) until the blank page disappeared in Preview. Also, I noticed that in Preview the blank pages didn't show up until I clicked the Print Layout button on the toolbar in Preview. Similar problems happen in Reporting Services report viewer. Weird.
March 1st, 2007 10:23pm

I am using a matrix control in a report containing 2 subreports.The matrix control is present inone of thesubreports. When I export the full report into the PDF,if the matrixarerendered in a single page, thereportis fine and there are no blank pages. But when the number of columns exceedsthe firstpage and moves into the second page thenthere are 3 blank pages in the report for every page with content.

This problem occurs only when I try to generate the whole report. No blank pages appear when I render subreports into PDFs individually.

Please help!!

Cheers!!

Ravi

May 31st, 2007 10:37am

Every other page was a blank page. I adjusted the report body, report width and margin to satisfy the formula given above and the blank page disappeared. Excellent information.

C Joseph

November 14th, 2007 8:53pm

Ravi -- Did you get a solution to this problem? I have the same issue using a table or list with the subreports inside. The problem seems to occur when ever the sub reposts span pages...

January 8th, 2008 7:30pm

Hi,

In Report Preview / Export / Acrobat File (PDF), I get blankpage with only the header.

Body is 21 x 15

Header is 21 x 1,5

Margins are 0

Here is a picture of the Report Properties :

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5930/proprietesdurapportrh2.jpg

How to know why ?

a+,=)

-=Clment=-

May 27th, 2008 9:22am

I have dynamic columns that are showing some at one time and others at other times. The overall width is 12.625 when all columns are on the editor, but never more than 10 inches at runtime. But I still get blank pages no matter what I do.

June 10th, 2008 7:41pm

Hi,

I have solved my problem. With SSRS you must be very careful with the way you place objects

Growing objects will push those on their right, even if they are not on the same line /!\

Consider a textbox 2 inches large centered, and a growing matrix beneath it. on the left, 1 inch large.
At run time the matrix will grow and the title will be pushed aside. And this may cause blank pages.

A workaround is to create 1 rectangle per object. The rectangle should occupy all the body space available while objects occupy only a part of their embedding rectangle.

a+, =)
-=Clment=-

PS : I apologize for mistakes, I m a french guy
June 10th, 2008 8:07pm

hello

set margins to 0, only then the width of report body and report could b same
  • Proposed as answer by salman shaikh Monday, November 09, 2009 4:37 AM
November 9th, 2009 4:36am

Hi ,  this problem remains  unsolved  .

When there are"a lot of columns" in a Matrix, some columns are printed in a second page, but it creates then blank pages everywhere in the report.

For example, I have a 24 pages report that prints fine. If I add a Matrix at the end, I get  my 24 printed pages, plus 24 blank pages between them , only because the matrix is printed on two pages. I t seems to be a bug.

Do someone have an idea how to solve this ?

June 23rd, 2010 2:29pm

I am facing the same problem, checked and adjusted width of report, body, all the controls, still having problems. I have one tablix, one group and one detail group. When I delete the detail group row, it works fine. So I know the detail group is causing the problem but dont know how to resolve it.

Thank you.

August 2nd, 2010 2:44pm

Solution worked for me as well, by containing the matrices on my report in a rectangle, it no longer prints the double page.  Worth a shot for those still struggling.
December 17th, 2010 9:06pm

Here is a simple answer to this issue in Report Builder 3.0

1. In your report click on the top level naviagation "View" tab and make sure the Properties checkbox is selected so you can see the properties on your right.
  2. Click on the white space on your report (not the table matrix) just the blank space
  3. Look in your Properties pane on the right.  Your last item in that pane should say size so make it the same size as the paper you're printing to Letter 8.5 x 11 etc.  Once that is the correct size it should eliminate the blank pages or it did for me anyway.

June 7th, 2012 6:58pm

Thanks this just helped me out on a report.
  • Proposed as answer by Shalu David Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:32 PM
July 13th, 2012 7:30pm

Thanks CraigC.  Your formula saved me. 
April 3rd, 2013 1:33pm

Thanks for this tip. I had to set the size of the report "body" to a fraction smaller than my page width. This fixed my blank page problem.
July 17th, 2015 12:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics