Blank Device Manager
I installed Hyper-V on a server with Virtual Server 2005. It installed fine and I was able to launch the manager to install a virtual network(switch). After installing the Virtual network the Virtual servers all lost their internet connection. I tried to remove the virtual switch from Hyper-V and the Interface ran for about 20 minutes and did nothing. I forced quit the Hyper-V manager and rebooted, the Virtual Machines(Virtual Server) were back online after the reboot. A few days Later I was finally able to have some downtime on the server to setup the virtual switch and get the VM's moved over.When I went to re-create the virtual switch inside Hyper-V, It was still there from the days before (it also shows in device manager, before it broke). I couldn't remove it from either Hyper-V(gave a generic "remove failed" error) or device manager(screen flashes and it's still there on refresh). So I uninstalled Hyper-V in an attempt to remove the "stuck" virtual switch. After the final reboot, my server now takes 30 minutes to "Apply settings" and when I finally get in my Device Manager is completely blank. When I search the registry for the name of the Virtual Switch from Hyper-V (after it's uninstall) I can still find it in the registry keys but I don't have access to the keys(even as domain admin). I can't delete them manually and now my device manager seems fried. My server also "reverted" to activation mode.In my Application Log I get this:Failed to collect hardware information. hr=0x8007000Dat about the time I try to activate windows or launch device manager. Searching Google for this error returns nothing.Any ideas?Dustin
October 17th, 2008 8:24pm

Hello, I saw you posted the same issue in the following link, I would like to suggest that we follow the problem there. Other members who see this issue or have any resolution are also warmly welcome to share information there: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/b73df488-1196-4ccf-8bb9-ec5db7139080 Thank you for your cooperation. Best regards,Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 21st, 2008 4:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics