Blackberry Direct Connect number in Active Directory
I'm a systems administrator running Blackberry Enterprise server V4 with Active Directory on a Windows 2003 cluster environment with Outlook 2007. I have nearly 500 users on site but about 150 them are assigned 8530i Blackberry’s. I am looking for a way to place their Direct Connect numbers in AD so they can add other BB users to their Contacts and use push to talk without manually having to enter the DC. I know that if a contact is added either through BB lookup or directly through Outlook, the user can manually substitute the pager field for "Radio" in Outlook, save and everything is fine. The user can also manually enter the DC in Contacts on the BB. Essentially, I want to be able to put the "Radio" DC number in Active Directory myself for our users. Nextel informs that this is not possible and I haven't seen any Microsoft articles on this. However, as a workaround, I did find a way of letting our BB users know what the other employee's DC are by placing that information in the "Notes" area of AD (in the same location as their mobile/fax/pager numbers). Push to talk actually does work if the user brings up the contact on the handheld and scrolls down to the notes I provided. They just need to highlight the DC in the notes and simply press the PTT button but they have to do that each time. But as a permanent solution, they can also highlight the DC, copy it, select "Edit" and then paste into the DC area on the BB or from Outlook by substituting "Pager" for "Radio". The problem is that some of our users think this is too much work on their part! They just want to add a BB contact and automatically PTT should work. I thought my solution was above & beyond and acceptable. No other admins on the enterprise even provide the DC in the notes. Their users have to call each other for their DC numbers. Heck, I didn't design AD, Blackberry or Outlook! You sometimes have to work with what you get! If anyone else knows a way to get DC to populate the Outlook Radio field in AD, please reply! Thanks...
October 30th, 2010 1:10am

Mark, I'm looking to do something similar. Did you ever find any info regarding this?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2011 4:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics