Bizarre search results Server 2008 R2 ext. with tilde (*.~tmp)
I manage a number of Windows Servers, with custom apps, and one of these custom apps creates .~tmp files, but due to a bug doesn't delete them after creating them. So, as a monthly task I do a search for *.~tmp and delete all the occurrences of these files. This is all fine with Server 2003 Enterprise 64bit machines I do a search through all the folders specified which may contain these files and delete them, they can number in the thousands and spread across hundreds of folders. Thus the use of the search facility. So, we deployed a Server 2008 R2 Standard machine recently, and set it all up and got the app working, but the first time that I try to do a search for *.~tmp I get tmp folders. That's it, no files, which I know exist as if I do a search for tmp I get a lot of results with tmp folders as well as the files that I want to isolate to delete, and other files with tmp in the name. Anyone else noticed this? I don't seem to turn much up with a quick internet search.
October 5th, 2010 4:59am

Hi, It seems that ~ is not supported. Please have a test to search for *."~tmp".Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 7th, 2010 9:37am

Hi, How are things going? Have you tried the "~tmp" instead?Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
October 12th, 2010 10:18pm

Hi there, Thank you for the response, however, that doesn't seem to work for me. (edit: works no different to searching for tmp) Unsupported characters? Surely if they're not going to support searching for those characters then they should not allow you to save a file with those characters in it. Completely ridiculous. Sorry about the delay in responding, seems like I'm not subscribed to my threads.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 18th, 2010 4:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics