BizTalk Server 2013 on premise integration with SAP PI

Hello All,

We are using BizTalk Server 2013 - "On Premise" for integration between SAP, SalesForce and many other systems. SAP PI is already being used and client wants us to interface with SAP via SAP PI. i.e. BizTAlk Server 2013 and SAP communicate through SAP PI. Which BizTalk adapter is the best fit over here? 

Waiting for your valuable inputs.

T

August 21st, 2015 7:29am

Hi,

There is no point in introducing an additional layer of integration between end systems i.e having 2 integration systems to do the processing. But if your client is stringent with using SAP PI to interact with SAP and you want BizTalk Server to interact with SAP PI then I think a common protocol should be used between the 2 systems.

You can use the FILE based mechanism or SOAP protocol to interact between 2 systems.

You can also check the below post if it is helpful:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c71cbea0-b3cf-4a6d-bf32-28cacad8b6a8/biztalk-sap-integration?forum=biztalkgeneral

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" or "Mark as Helpful" if this post has answered the question

Rahul

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 8:25am

Hi,

There is no point in introducing an additional layer of integration between end systems i.e having 2 integration systems to do the processing. But if your client is stringent with using SAP PI to interact with SAP and you want BizTalk Server to interact with SAP PI then I think a common protocol should be used between the 2 systems.

You can use the FILE based mechanism or SOAP protocol to interact between 2 systems.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c71cbea0-b3cf-4a6d-bf32-28cacad8b6a8/biztalk-sap-integration?forum=biztalkgeneral

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" or "Mark as Helpful" if this post has answered the question

Rahul

August 21st, 2015 12:21pm

Hi,

Rahul

Hi,

Rahul

Hi,

As i Know there are two options to integrate BizTalk with SAP. Recently i integrated heaps of stuff from BizTalk to SAP and vice versa.  Here are the options

1. If you want to integrate BizTalk directly with SAP without using FILE/webs services then you can use WCF-SAP adapter.

2. if SAP people exposes any functionality using web service end point then you can WCF-Custom adapter just like consuming all other web services.

I used the above two methods and be careful with the second option especially because in our case the end point on SAP side is exposed as asynchronous and also it supports reliable messaging protocol. So if you want to do some thing with response then you wont get that immediately. Insteade after processing in SAP they will post the response to any end point that we expose and you have to use that in orchestration with the help of correlation.

Hope that gives better idea.

Cheers

August 22nd, 2015 7:15pm

Hi Dipti,

SAP PI is the integration layer within SAP having same Business process functionality and integration mechanism.

It is unto client to chose SAP PI or BizTalk . BizTalk has always having upper hand to communicate with vide variety of B2B Systems . I don't think its wise idea to use both for same purpose and it will make your integration layer very difficult to manage .

I would suggest to have a clear discussion with your client over the approach again and highlights the merit and demerit of the approach which they are planning to implement .

Thanks

Abhishek

August 24th, 2015 3:12am

SAP PI supports multiple protocols so they will have to tell you exactly which one to use but the most common is some SOAP variant so most likely, BizTalk will see it as just another WCF endpoint.

A word of caution, every PI implementation I have dealt with has had one or more performance characteristics we had to accommodate.  The most common is the inability to handle flood scenarios so every Send Port is set for Ordered Delivery.

August 24th, 2015 7:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics