Bitlocker not automatically unlocking drive
Hello, I have a problem with Bitlocker ToGo not automatically unlocking a hard drive, but only every now and again not every time. Details are below: Server 2008 R2 standard, workgroup machine Bitlocker is enabled on two USB portable drives, only one drive is attached at any one time. When I first encrypted the drives I entered the password I wanted to use during the wizard. Once encryption had completed I went to manage bitlocker and selected to automatically unlock the drives. Sometimes when one drive is swapped with the other it doesn’t always unlock the drive, this appears to happen whichever drive is connected, but not every time its intermittent. If you require any further information please let me know. Thank you very much for any help.
April 27th, 2011 10:31am

I have the same problem on 2008 R2 Std in a domain. It also appears to be intermittent. I use a password to unlock and it is set to automatically unlock.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2012 9:44pm

well it is rather daft really that it doesnt unlock automatically, even though the automatic unlocking is set... i tried the following to address this: automatically log the admin in then lock the screen (regedit and scheduled task using vbscript can do this), however it did not address the issue. i implemented this because i read somewhere that the user has to be logged on in order for the unlock feature to work but it still didnt. so i settled on a very simply approach in the end schedule task runs at 17:15 every day (this is 15 minutes after our backup drives have been changed), the task kicks off a batch file which simply has the following: @echo off manage-bde -unlock y: -recoverypassword <your recovery password here for drive A> manage-bde -unlock x: -recoverypassword <your recovery password here for drive B>
April 11th, 2012 10:56am

you can unlock the drive from control pannel bit lock manager
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 30th, 2012 3:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics