Big issues with Windows Server 2008
Hi everyone We have this big problem which is starting to annoy me! We have a Windows Server 2008 R2, with all updates installed. There is very little software installed on the server apart from some phone system stuff and Kaspersky Anti-virus Every day/2 days the server does something which stops us from connecting to it! Well i say that, but i can remote desktop to it via IP but not by name, if i try by name i get the following error....Remote desktop cannot verify the identity of the remote computer because there is a time or date difference between your computer and the remote computer. Also our backups fail (we backup from another server) due to a communications failure. Also when you try and run a gpupdate /force it fails. The only way round this is to restart the server and everything works fine until it happens again. Apologies if i've missed anything off Can anyone help?? Thanks Simon
October 5th, 2012 4:55am

This is an Exchange forum, you question is better suited for the Windows Server forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsserver/ DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 5th, 2012 5:04pm

Can you verify that the server and client have the correct time and are within 5 minutes of each other? Is the time zone setting correct on both? When the problem occurs, can you ping the name you use to connect to the RDP and make sure DNS resolves the correct server address?Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
October 5th, 2012 6:25pm

Hi, Since your question is Windows Server related, I have helped to move this thread to Windows Server forum so that it will be more concerned by Windows Server professionals. Thanks, Simon Wu Exchange Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com
October 7th, 2012 9:32pm

Hi, Since your question is Windows Server related, I have helped to move this thread to Windows Server forum so that it will be more concerned by Windows Server professionals. Thanks, Simon Wu Exchange Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com
October 8th, 2012 4:21am

The server and client times are exactly the same and time zones are exactly the same. No client PC can connect to the server as mentioned above. The server is experiencing the problem currently and i can successfully ping both the name and IP address however i still cannot connect to the server via RDP using the name and subsequently our backup fails unless i reboot! It's very odd! Thanks Simon
October 8th, 2012 8:35am

Thanks Simon, not quite sure how i managed to put it in the wrong group. Anyway lets hope someone can help me!
October 8th, 2012 8:39am

If you ping by name does it return the correct ip address? Posting an ipconfig /all of this member server and AD/DNS server may help. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
October 8th, 2012 8:45am

As Dave has mentioned, please ping the name when the problem occurs and make sure it returns the exact same IP address that you use when you connect via RDP. Use the server's netbios name as well as the FQDN and make sure both return the same, correct IP address of the server. Is Ping returning an IPV4 or IPV6 address? Is you server's IPV6 address static or dynamic? Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
October 8th, 2012 9:29am

Hi When i ping the server by name i get the IP address which i expected and from there i can successfully connect to the server via this IP address. The ping is returning an IPV4 address, IPV6 is unticked as we are not using it. If i try to connect to the server with either the servers netbios name or the FQDN i get the message as described above Thanks Simon
October 8th, 2012 9:47am

Try following options and see if any one of them works Option 1 Remove static IP from the Server, reboot and then re-assign the IP address. Option 2 Disable Remote Desktop, reboot and then re-enable Remote Desktop Connection Option 3 Check host file on server in question and see if there are any wrong host entries Option 4 Edit the host file on server in question and make host entry for itself. Yes, you read it correct. e.g. say, Server IP is 10.20.30.40 and server name is RemoteServer, create host entry as below # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost 10.20.30.40 RemoteServer Option 5 Make sure server time is in sync with domain controller. To resync server time with DC, run following command from elevated cmd w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:DC_HostName.DomainName.com /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update DC_HostName.DomainName.com - replace it with FQDN of your domain controller hostname. E.g. If your DC hostname is DC01 and Domain name is abc.com then command would look like below w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:DC01.abc.com /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update Good luck ! ThanksRegards, Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
October 8th, 2012 9:53am

When you verified that the server's date and time were correct, did you do it while the RDP error was happening? If not, please check the date and time during the time when RDP cannot connect and you are getting the error. Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL of the server and client to show the IP settings during the time the error is occurring? Is this a VM? Thge symptoms point to DNS/NetBIOS/WINS being at the heart of the problem if the time/date is not the problem. Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
October 8th, 2012 9:58am

Try following options and see if any one of them works Option 1 Remove static IP from the Server, reboot and then re-assign the IP address. Option 2 Disable Remote Desktop, reboot and then re-enable Remote Desktop Connection Option 3 Check host file on server in question and see if there are any wrong host entries Option 4 Edit the host file on server in question and make host entry for itself. Yes, you read it correct. e.g. say, Server IP is 10.20.30.40 and server name is RemoteServer, create host entry as below # localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself. 127.0.0.1 localhost # ::1 localhost 10.20.30.40 RemoteServer Option 5 Make sure server time is in sync with domain controller. To resync server time with DC, run following command from elevated cmd w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:DC_HostName.DomainName.com /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update DC_HostName.DomainName.com - replace it with FQDN of your domain controller hostname. E.g. If your DC hostname is DC01 and Domain name is abc.com then command would look like below w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:DC01.abc.com /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update Good luck ! ThanksRegards, Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
October 8th, 2012 10:03am

The server and client times are exactly the same and time zones are exactly the same. No client PC can connect to the server as mentioned above. The server is experiencing the problem currently and i can successfully ping both the name and IP address however i still cannot connect to the server via RDP using the name and subsequently our backup fails unless i reboot! It's very odd! Thanks Simon
October 8th, 2012 3:25pm

Thanks Simon, not quite sure how i managed to put it in the wrong group. Anyway lets hope someone can help me!
October 8th, 2012 3:28pm

If you ping by name does it return the correct ip address? Posting an ipconfig /all of this member server and AD/DNS server may help. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
October 8th, 2012 3:35pm

Hi When i ping the server by name i get the IP address which i expected and from there i can successfully connect to the server via this IP address. The ping is returning an IPV4 address, IPV6 is unticked as we are not using it. If i try to connect to the server with either the servers netbios name or the FQDN i get the message as described above Thanks Simon
October 8th, 2012 4:37pm

Any Progress ?Regards, Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
October 14th, 2012 11:58pm

Any Progress ?Regards, Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
October 15th, 2012 6:45am

Hi All Sorry for the delay in replying, It's very busy here. So i still have the issue and in response to Santosh's question the answers are Option 1 - If i remove the IP address then some of the users will lose functionality which is not advisable! Also i'm not on the same site as this server and don't want to lose connectivity. All users on the site are fairly stupid! Option 2 - Done this, but no difference Option 3 - Host file checked for any rogue entries, all ok Option 4 - I've added what you suggested Option 5 - Ran the command line and this completed successfully In response to Falcon IT Services question, the IPCONFIG screen shots are attached. The server one is below This is from my machine. Remember once the server has been rebooted i have no issues connecting to the server When i cannot connect to the server we also lose the functionality to be able to connect to the phone system via this Server. Very frustrating but i know im talking to the right people! Thanks Simon
October 29th, 2012 6:04am

hey Simon, Sorry to hear that, you are still having issues. Just a suspension, old drivers/firmwares might be causing issues (I personally have seen some weird issues caused by old drivers and firmwares). Could you please try updating them and see if that makes any difference ? ThanksRegards, Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.
October 29th, 2012 8:35am

Hi When i ping the server by name i get the IP address which i expected and from there i can successfully connect to the server via this IP address. The ping is returning an IPV4 address, IPV6 is unticked as we are not using it. If i try to connect to the server with either the servers netbios name or the FQDN i get the message as described above Thanks Simon Hello, Can you re-tick IPV6? Disabling it is not recommended. Simply unticking it from the NIC properties does not fully disable it. It may be that there is the root of the problem. If you need to fully disable it, follow these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852?wa=wsignin1.0 Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
October 29th, 2012 9:26am

Hi All Sorry for the delay in replying, It's very busy here. So i still have the issue and in response to Santosh's question the answers are Option 1 - If i remove the IP address then some of the users will lose functionality which is not advisable! Also i'm not on the same site as this server and don't want to lose connectivity. All users on the site are fairly stupid! Option 2 - Done this, but no difference Option 3 - Host file checked for any rogue entries, all ok Option 4 - I've added what you suggested Option 5 - Ran the command line and this completed successfully In response to Falcon IT Services question, the IPCONFIG screen shots are attached. The server one is below This is from my machine. Remember once the server has been rebooted i have no issues connecting to the server When i cannot connect to the server we also lose the functionality to be able to connect to the phone system via this Server. Very frustrating but i know im talking to the right people! Thanks Simon
October 29th, 2012 1:04pm

hey Simon, Sorry to hear that, you are still having issues. Just a suspension, old drivers/firmwares might be causing issues (I personally have seen some weird issues caused by old drivers and firmwares). Could you please try updating them and see if that makes any difference ? ThanksRegards, Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.
October 29th, 2012 3:35pm

Hello, From your IP config, it looks as if you have two NIC's. Windows does not support multi-homing. Remove the default gateway IP address from one of the NIC's, leaving only the IP address and Subnet mask. When the problem occurs, can you access the server from another machine on the LAN that's NOT the dual homed machine? Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog
October 31st, 2012 9:38pm

Hi all Just a quick update The problem was caused by an installation of some third party call recording software which the maintainer rectified! They were happy to blame us for server crashing when their software wasn't working! Thanks for all your help Simon
December 11th, 2012 6:47am

Hi all Just a quick update The problem was caused by an installation of some third party call recording software which the maintainer rectified! They were happy to blame us for server crashing when their software wasn't working! Thanks for all your help Simon
December 11th, 2012 2:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics