Best way of starting again..?

Hi, I've run in to a problems and I'm not sure what the easiest way to get round it is..

I have a Hypervisor that is located on our site and basically is a backup Hypervisor, and we mirror a customers VM'S over to the backup machine via a VPN

My problem is that we setup the discs wrong... So we have 6 x 600GB drives setup as a RAID6 and these are formatted with BASIC volumes so we have hit the 2TB limit.... C: and a D: drive..

Our plan is to fit 2 x 300GB as a RAID1 and put the C: drive on there, then setup the  x 600GB as GPT and set that back up as the D: drive...

We have all the VM's replicating to the D: drive of the old server right now so if there was some way of doing a Bare Metal Backup of the whole lot then re do all the volumes and restoring it that would be great...., but I don't think a Bare Metal works quite like that as there is no way of setting the drives up before restoring....

Is that correct...?, and if so is there any other way we could tackle this...?

Regards

July 29th, 2015 7:13am

Hi,

What's the exact setup of "mirror a customer's VMs"?

If they are some VMs on that Hypervisor (with Hyper-V), the question is actually "move VMs from the RAID6 to a new RAID1 and move it back". Is this correct?

Hyper-V support to export/import VMs so it should work in this situation.

Also backup the RAID6 to RAID1 and restore to new RAID6 should also work. However you will need to test the backup before deleting RAID6 to confirm it will work. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2015 10:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics