Best way of handle Log Shipping in Physical Movement of SQL Server

Hi All

We are moving SQL Server physically from one rack to another in data centre. Just power off and move the server and network link up and power on and bring to same state before power off.

One of Server 2005 have Log shipping active. What is best way to maintain Log Shipping during this physical movement. I do not want to remove log shipping and re-configure from scratch.

Need help for clean and safe method to carry this activity.

Thanks in Advance

• Edited by SQL India 6 hours 44 minutes ago re phrase
January 18th, 2014 11:38pm

Hello,

If i understand correctly its just a windows box movement nothing will be changed in OS as well as SQL server.So in that case just cleanly shutdown SQL server and OS.

Make sure you manually stop All jobs related to logshipping ,even though When SQL server will be down jobs will not work but I want you to manually stop jobs related to logshipping on both servers.After SQL server comes online start the jobs

When SQL server will start log shipping will resume if you do not make any changes to DB and its configuration.

After migration start windows and SQL server Log shipping will resume no extra steps required .If you are asking steps for RACK migration then this is not correct forum.

Hope this helps

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2014 1:03am

Thanks for reply...

No... I am not asking RACK migration. Just SQL SERVER...Here are my steps that I am like to do...

1. Stop application(s) that connect to the databases on this Server

2. Note of account under which SQL Server running for the purpose of permission of this account on folder(s) for L Log Shipping  

2. Stop Jobs using via making script for disable and enable jobs

Here I have doubt on Log Shipping jobs disable and enable that

a. I should stop LS jobs manually as you recommended but not while running em I right?

b. Shall I stop disable jobs first on Secondary or Primary Server?

c. On which server I should enable LS jobs first?

3.  Stop SQL Server Services.

AND take same steps in reverse manner when power on after physical migration of Box.

Pls advise

January 19th, 2014 1:33am

Thanks for reply...

No... I am not asking RACK migration. Just SQL SERVER...Here are my steps that I am like to do...

1. Stop application(s) that connect to the databases on this Server

Correct

2. Note of account under which SQL Server running for the purpose of permission of this account on folder(s) for L Log Shipping  

OK

2. Stop Jobs using via making script for disable and enable jobs

Here I have doubt on Log Shipping jobs disable and enable that

You can use job( tsql) but why not use GUI.Log into SQL Server expand SQL server agent RK on job and disable it.

a. I should stop LS jobs manually as you recommended but not while running em I right?

Yes see job activity monitor on both primary and secondary server.It will show status executing  for jobs,look out for LS jobs.

b. Shall I stop disable jobs first on Secondary or Primary Server?

First disable on Primary and then on secondary.

I faced a issue where shutting down SQL agent on Secondary caused Sec database to go in suspect mode.So make sure while you shutdown agent no job is running.If restore log job is running let it complete and then disable the job

c. On which server I should enable LS jobs first?

Primary

3.  Stop SQL Server Services.

Run sp_who2 or select * from sys.sysprocessess to see any active transaction.Then move accordingly.

AND take same steps in reverse manner when power on after physical migration of Box.

Pls advise

Hope this helps
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2014 1:48am

For same situation What should be the approach for SQL Server 2000? 
January 19th, 2014 4:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics