Best practices for keeping an offline windows 2008 R2 servers up to date with security patches?
Hi, We have a couple of Windows 2008 R2 servers. They live behind a firewall and all outgoing communication is by default off. I was wondering if anybody know of a best practices for keeping the server up to date with security patches. I have found that you can download DVD images with security patches. But even though it is a DVD you have to apply each patch manually and separately. This sounds like a lot of work :-) Also the DVDs looks to be 3 months behind. I wanted to just use online Windows update. To do this I need to open access to some servers at Microsoft like the below. In our firewall you cannot input DNS names but only IPs. The IPs to these servers changes. If I do a nslookup one day I get one IP and when I try it the day after another. So I cannot get this to work. · windowsupdate.microsoft.com · update.microsoft.com · windowsupdate.com · download.microsoft.com · ntservicepack.microsoft.com We could use a WSUS and a proxy to get around the changing IP problem but that is a bit much for just a couple of servers. Is there really no other alternative? Regards Peter
August 5th, 2010 11:37am

Hi, If the firewall does not allow you to input DNS name, I am afraid that you will have to implement WSUS or install updates manually. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 9:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics