Best practices for DNS records salvaging

I am looking what is the best practices for DNS salvaging and can anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you. 

April 4th, 2014 6:03pm

Do you mean scavenging. If yes, then below is the TechNet article that explains it http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771362(v=WS.10).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 4th, 2014 6:50pm

Thank you Ezzi and to be clear i need to figure what is the best way to practice this safely and using this table below the default and best way to implement this instead of custom rules?

Service Default refresh period

Net logon

24 hours

Clustering

24 hours

DHCP client

24 hours

The DHCP Client service sends dynamic updates for the DNS records. This includes both computers that obtain a leased Internet Protocol (IP) address by using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and computers that are configured statically for TCP/IP.

DHCP server

Four days (half of the lease interval, which is eight days by default).

Refresh attempts are made only by DHCP servers that are configured to perform DNS dynamic updates on behalf of their clients, for example, Windows 2000 Server DHCP servers and Windows Server 2003 DHCP servers. The period is based on the frequency in which DHCP clients renew their IP address leases with the server. Typically, this occurs when 50 percent of the scope lease time has elapsed. If the DNS default scope lease duration of eight days is used, the maximum refresh period for records that are updated by DHCP servers on behalf of clients is four days.

By default, the refresh interval is seven days. In most instances, this value is sufficient and does not need to be changed, unless any resource records in the zone are refreshed less often than once every seven days.

April 4th, 2014 7:03pm

The recommendations as per the TechNet article are safe to implement. However I would recommend to go through this old thread

Recycling old threads. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/334973fd-52b4-49fc-b1d8-9403a9481392/dns-scavenging?forum=winserverDS

This thread discusses the best practices and also explains how you can enable DNS scavenging and monitor that the scavenging is doing its job.

• Marked as answer by tony869 10 hours 59 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 4th, 2014 7:17pm

Awesome that is what i was looking for and have a nice weekend. :) :) 
April 4th, 2014 7:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics