Best Practices - Installing SP2 updates to Server 2008 x64 Ent. running SQL Server 2005
I am new to taking care of servers and have many running Server 2008 however I have yet to update my SQL Server and Exchange server. I was going to start this weekend with updating our SQL 2005 Server which is running on Server 2008 Ent. I just want to make sure I do this with the least amount of issues. Is it OK to just run the updates as normal or should I make sure to stop any services before I run the updates on the server? Thanks,Jr. Admin
September 17th, 2009 10:01pm

Hi snteran,It actually depends on what you want to install. I think you might need to follow the suggestion of the update link from Microsoft to checkthe notice. Generally speaking, according to my experience, installing a hotfix or a simple update should be ok to the server system, we can just run the update as a normal one, and it has no influence on the current running services. However, if you want to apply a service package, a hard reboot could be nesccessiriy afterwards.It depneds.Best Regards,Scorprio MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2009 10:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics